• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My third foxbody...

Clark302

My name is Keith. I recently bought a 91 LX roller. Automatic trans. Pony wheels. I found a 5.0 out of an explorer at a local salvage yard. Engine came complete. As far as I know, and from what I can tell the car is completely stock. No aftermarket parts what so ever. I was a dealership automotive mechanic with Chrysler/Dodge for about 15 years. So I'm familiar with working on cars. This is also my third Foxbody. First one had just bolts ons, second one had edelbrock heads and cam change.
My plan with the car is to completely dis assemble the engine, send the block and heads to machine shop to have everything checked over. Once that is done and I know the bases are good, I'll rering it and install fresh bearings for a fresh bottom end.
I plan on installing an on3 turbo kit, and keeping automatic with an AOD from Monstertransmission.com.

I want this car to be a street car with rare trips to the track on occasion.

But I have so many questions, and I guess that is why I'm here.

1. Can I run an on3 turbo kit and still keep my emissions equipment? Smog pump and EGR. In my state these components and required to be present and "appear" to be working correctly in order to get an inspection sticker. I have my inspection license and emissions license..but don't want to get into any trouble. I'm Ok with blocking the erg with a plate, but it still has to be there. Same with the smog pump. I can make it inoperable, but it still has to be present.
2. The rear end will get an overhaul as well..new bearings and seals with a 5 lug conversion from an SN95. What gears are best for a turbo car? Are 3.73's too much?
3. What upgrades should I have for the stock motor to handle the extra power from a turbo kit? I'm hoping since the motor is from an explorer that it should have the gt40 heads and intake, but I haven't removed the valve covers to find out for sure, the intake does look like it has the tubular design.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and possibly answer. I'm just trying to bring another on back from the dead. They are bar none my favorite vehicle of all time.