• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang stalling issue please help

Black_Mare

Hey guys, I have this problem where my car will randomly die while driving or after idling for a few minutes, it will not turn back on unless I turn the key off and back on, then it’ll start right up and run like nothing happened, when it does it while I’m driving I can just cycle the key while in gear and keep on driving, the radio stays on and all the lights etc , the rpm tach drops to 0, if I pull over I find there is no spark from the coil, if I cycle the key off and back on it has fat blue spark.
After extensive reading I have changed the following parts with no success:
New ignition switch
New motorcraft tfi
New motorcraft pip
New msd cap and rotor
New msd blaster coil
New msd wire from coil to dizzy
New starter relay

Additionally, the car has good ford racing 8.5mm spark plug wires, fuel pump is working and there’s good fuel pressure, the car runs great and everything works as it should, other things about the car, intake header exhaust e303 cam fpr otherwise stock

Black_Mare

Little more history, I bought the car off original owner to have as a fun daily driver, weekend track warrior, car already had a few things done to it but from back in the day haha the car drove decent and hadn’t been hot dogged in a long time he said, the car was in worse condition then I wanted, but only by a little haha, thing that got me was original owner and original paint and body, every vin sticker is present and matching both bumpers fenders doors hatch quarter panels etc, got the car home did a tune up of msd cap rotor and coil, oil change, cleaned air filter, put 93 gas advanced timing to 14 degrees, car felt way better upon test drive, but coming back home it died suddenly and thus started my hunt for the issue, I’ve put the parts that were already on the car back to see if the new msd is faulty and still same issue, any help will be greatly appreciated

Black_Mare

So I read over a no start check list, waited for the car to die idling in the drive way, put a test light connecting the 2 wires that plug into the coil and got nothing when I cranked, so I decided to unplug the tfi and re plug it, go and crank it the rest light lights up, I plug in the coil car starts fine, it’s safe to assume I got a bad motorcraft tfi brand new from ford? That sucks, especially now before Christmas I probably won’t be able to get my hands on another one until the 27th

broncojunkie

I got a new tfi from autozone a few years ago and it was bad right out of the box. They had 2 more in stock... both of them bad, as well. I had the store bench test all 3. Got one from napa, iirc. Car fired right up. So the parts stores should be able to bench test them for you. I would also check your ignition switch, if you haven't already.

Black_Mare

Jeez that’s unfortunate, what are the odds of 3 bad back to back, I bought my tfi from ford brand new motorcraft, crazy after 29 years think they would have it right by now, I have warranty so I’ll just have to order a new one, we’ll see

broncojunkie

Odds are probably better these days, since Ford started farming out production of these older parts to China.

Black_Mare

Yea that’s the problem, now ford says they will warranty out this one but if the next one is bad I have to take the whole car in so they can diagnose for themselves, I’m wondering if the computer is bad, but unplugging the tfi and plugging it back in makes the car work again, weird

Black_Mare

Something to add on, car will not die with spout removed lol Ive been googling for over an hour and can’t figure this out anyone else?