• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

manual or power brake set up

schaffersshovel

options ,,currently have big 13 inch front brake calipers sve ones,,strange calipers out back,,,i would like to go manual ,,,,whats your advice and set up ,,,any help is apriciated

347HO

I'm gonna assume my 86' is 700# less weight than your setup, and I'm struggling to get the right balance of braking for the acceleration, all while managing heat. My brake setup is 13" front, 12" rear, Wildwood manual, 6 and 4 piston, respectively.
In hindsight, I'm returning to power brakes and steering. More than likely electric due to low vacuum.

If you're willing to experiment with numerous setups of mastercylinders and caliper piston sizes... Then manual IMO is slightly better due to less moving parts.

Also, the firewall is absolutely not capable withstanding hard braking foot pressure. You will need to add doublers to the firewall where the master cylinders and pedal bracket bolt to the firewall.

Good luck.

347HO

20160917_173114.jpg
Here, you can see the engine side doubler behind the master cylinders. There's also one on the interior side.
When this picture was taken, the cylinders were .750" however I changed to .625" for more brake pressure.