• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

MAF Conversion Question

broncojunkie

I plan on going from speed density to maf and have been reading up on it. Everything I see talks about finding a used harness, swapping pins on the plugs, etc. Summit sells a MAF conversion harness that plugs right into the speed density plug for around $80. This seems much easier and I like the idea of using new wiring instead of someone's old stuff. I'm guessing all I would have to do is wire this harness in and then get me a new maf sensor and plumbing (to match whatever injectors I'm going with) and get me an ecu for an 89 5spd (my car is an 88 5spd).

Am I overlooking something? I'm just now learning about this stuff, so it's all new to me. The conversion kit from Summit just looks like an easier swap.

broncojunkie

From their site:

Brand: Granatelli Motor Sports

Manufacturer's Part Number: 81868801

Part Type: Mass Airflow Conversion Kits

Product Line: Granatelli Motor Sports Mass Airflow Conversion Wiring Harnesses

Summit Racing Part Number: GRN-81868801

UPC: 802735003116

ECM Included: No

Fuel Injectors Included: No

Mass Airflow Sensor Included: No

Wiring Harness Included: Yes

Hoses Included: No

Clamps Included: No

Brackets Included: No

Quantity: Sold as a kit.

CARB EO Number: D-471-1 (pdf)
To see a list of qualifying vehicles, enter CARB EO Number D-471-1

Description: Do you have a 1986-88 Ford Mustang that you want to switch from speed density to a MAF system? Granatelli had you in mind when they designed their Granatelli Motor Sports mass airflow conversion wiring harnesses. These wiring harnesses simply connect to your new mass airflow sensor and plug into your existing speed density wiring harness that connects to the mass air ECM. These wiring harnesses are designed to install with ease and no cutting of wires is required with the included wire clamps.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Last edited:

broncojunkie

Thank you!
I'll assume since you have already done some research on the subject that you've already read this but if not.... this is probably one of the best how -to for doing the conversion.
http://www.stangnet.com/2002/01/23/mustang-mass-air-conversion/
Thanks! No, haven't read that particular one. It is a little easier to follow than the others I've seen. I'm still not entirely sure of all of it pertains to doing this project with an aftermarket conversion harness, though. I'm sure it would be different depending on whether you're using a salvaged harness or a new one designed specifically for the swap.