• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Local track re-opening!

broncojunkie

The local track about 30 minutes from me is re-opening! A local car enthusiast purchased the property and is renovating. I'm absolutely ecstatic! There was a lot of history at this place and when a developer purchased it (in 2016, I believe), my understanding was that it was being torn out to make room for a housing development. In fact, I didn't even realize the structures and actual track were still there. They've been posting pics in a FB group I'm on.
The closest track from me is about 1 hr 45 minutes away. This is a game changer! I'll be buttoning up a few things on my pace car to get it ready for this spring. New fuel lines (I don't like the way I routed them), possibly some rear end work (or having the driveshaft rebalanced), installing a driveshaft loop, and an oil pressure switch wired into the electric fuel pump circuit. I think that's it.
I also may try to throw another car together. I have been slowly working on another pace car, 79 cobra, and 82gt. The 82gt was supposed to serve dragstrip duty. I'm toying with the idea of using the other pace car, since it's a little further along and I've already installed subframe connectors. We'll see. I'll need to do some thinking. I'm ready to drop this 408w down into something and start having some fun!

Erkenbrand

That's amazing! Too many tracks have been bulldozed. A classic strip near me was closed for a few years, and then reopened. Although it's a small (sub-1/8 mile) strip, and only open once a month, it's a special place. Last year, they started improving the lanes and built a new announcer booth.

I hope we see some videos of you tearing up the track!

broncojunkie

That's amazing! Too many tracks have been bulldozed. A classic strip near me was closed for a few years, and then reopened. Although it's a small (sub-1/8 mile) strip, and only open once a month, it's a special place. Last year, they started improving the lanes and built a new announcer booth.

I hope we see some videos of you tearing up the track!

Interesting. We do actually have a similar short track not too far from here. I believe it's around 300ft. They only have racing on Saturdays and no tnt on Friday. Fun track, but not my thing. Here some racing I recorded this summer.