• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Life long enthusiast, but new here!

87Stangit!

Hello, gear heads. I'm joining you from Buford, GA. I come from a family of Mustang owners and I have owned a few myself. My most recent Stang isn't all that new to me. When I was in high school my dad purchased an 87 GT conv. He was cool enough to let me drive it just about everywhere. I'm sure at the time he thought I had taken it over. I've always loved that car. Recently, my dad realized that he was too old and the car needed too much work for him. So.......he sold it to me for $1. The car still runs, but not very well. My plan is to rebuild and modify it with my kids. They have been Mustang lovers since my 1966 coupe. Enough about me. I'm sure I will meet most of you on the threads as I work through this ground-up rebuild. My wife is soooooo happy=)

87Stangit!

Thanks! It's white with red interior. It needs a few trim pieces repaired and a new paint job with a new top. The interior needs to be freshened up. The engine and tranny need an overhaul which of course is a perfect time for an upgrade. I'm thinking of building a NA around 350-400hp, change the gears to 3.73 and rebuild the AOD with better clutch packs and a shift kit. I'm not sure if I want to change out the rear drums for disc and convert to the 5 bolt pattern. I guess we will see how the rebuild goes and how much money it drains from my bank account.

What Bronco do you have? I had a 79 full size and a 93 with a 351W. Next to Mustangs the Bronco is my favorite followed closely by the late 70 pickups.

broncojunkie

I no longer own broncos, but I've had a few over the years. 86, 91,92. Also an 86 Bronco II.

Your project sounds pretty typical for us fox guys. That means it'll probably turn into a much bigger project. Ask me how I know lol!

The AOD should work well for you, but do yourself a favor and look into a 4r70w swap. They're evidently easy to rebuild yourself using basic tools. They're a dime a dozen from later new-edge v6 Mustangs and hold a bunch of power in stock form. You don't have to worry about the TV cable being adjusted incorrectly and destroying the transmission. The stand-alone electronic controller is about a grand, but that cost can be offset from rebuilding the 4r70w yourself and not having to spend a lot on a rebuild kit and shift kit. Also, instead of buying a shift kit, you can do the "J-mod". Basically just modify the valve body by removing some springs and drilling out a few small holes. Instructions are readily available on the interwebs.

I have older foxes...2 79 models, an 82gt, and an 86 coupe. I recently got rid of my 88gt. The efi engines are definitely better for driveability, but the carbed cars are fine for a weekend toy.

You should start a build thread on here! We'd love to follow along!

87Stangit!

I no longer own broncos, but I've had a few over the years. 86, 91,92. Also an 86 Bronco II.

Your project sounds pretty typical for us fox guys. That means it'll probably turn into a much bigger project. Ask me how I know lol!

The AOD should work well for you, but do yourself a favor and look into a 4r70w swap. They're evidently easy to rebuild yourself using basic tools. They're a dime a dozen from later new-edge v6 Mustangs and hold a bunch of power in stock form. You don't have to worry about the TV cable being adjusted incorrectly and destroying the transmission. The stand-alone electronic controller is about a grand, but that cost can be offset from rebuilding the 4r70w yourself and not having to spend a lot on a rebuild kit and shift kit. Also, instead of buying a shift kit, you can do the "J-mod". Basically just modify the valve body by removing some springs and drilling out a few small holes. Instructions are readily available on the interwebs.

I have older foxes...2 79 models, an 82gt, and an 86 coupe. I recently got rid of my 88gt. The efi engines are definitely better for driveability, but the carbed cars are fine for a weekend toy.

You should start a build thread on here! We'd love to follow along!
WOW, thanks for the info! I will look into that.

I noticed a few people doing a build thread. That would be fun to do, then everyone can get a good laugh at it being my turn to suffer through a rebuild. LOL! I will likely get started in the next few weeks. Just have to get a few things in order first.