• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

LED Headlights

51FordF1

I am looking for recommendations for LED headlight bulbs for my 1988 5.0 LX. I brought this new and would like better headlights. I recently changed my 1951 F 1 to the United Pacific LED and would like the mustang's lights to compare,

347HO

I haven't found an LED light brighter than the Sylvania silver star series of bulbs.

Only reason I opted for LED, my alternator output has just enough Amps to support the system when everything is on, and 8000 rpm.

I'll post my light setup later when I find the link.

broncojunkie

Curious on this, myself. I got rid of my 88 and the rest of my mustangs are earlier models with the sealed beam headlights. But my buddy (owns my old 88) is wanting to try led's. I can tell you that I purchased housings to replace the sealed beams in my 79 and then installed Beamtech LED's. The brightness is several times better, now... both on low and high beam. No complaints from incoming traffic (as long as I'm not high-beaming them). I couldn't be happier with them. We purchased Beamtechs for the wife's 2015 4Runner and while the high beam is super bright, the lows are pitiful. We've yet to look into it, so I'm not sure if it's due to the housing/reflectors or the bulbs themselves. Highs and lows take different bulbs.

I think there's just some trial and error required to get bulbs that work well with your housings. Surely, there have been 87-93 mustang owners who have figured it out. Unfortunately, there are several different companies making different styles. The LED technology is constantly changing, so it's hard to get the latest info.

broncojunkie

Here's a video of my 79 at night, just after installing the Beamtech LED's. Again, a different headlight setup than your 88, but may give you an idea of how much better the LED's can be.