• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Known issues 2.3?

Kayzee2405

Hey guys I just got a 93 2.3 it's not running right and I've checked s bunch of stuff. And I've replaced s few things that I found from you guys. But I need a more in depth common issues on this engine any help would be appreciated.

Kayzee2405

I have replaced...icm, coil (front), ignition switch plug thing. I've disconnected the maf car had a little more torque when doing so but didn't fix the issue I cleaned the IAC (might need to do a better job on it) I've put a new cat back on it and replaced the water pump, and 2 fuses, fuel filter. I've also ran 2 cans of sea foam ( 1 can doing all 3 other can doing 2) and put stp dry gas stuff in it

Going to be replacing soon. rear coil, spark plugs and plug wires soon.
Also I have plans to do the 3 capacitors in the computer

Symptoms,
1. tach is stuck at 3k after car is running and when you get to a higher rpm it goes as high as 4k. When I turn key not started it's near 0, after it jumps pretty hard from the shock of the key.
2. Car has rough idle when first starting regardless if it's cold or warm in the mornings if you lightly hold gas it will keep running until it warms up a little then its good, if it's warm "flicking the gas" will get it to start, then after that before pulling out you need to raise rpm to mid range (I go by sound) then it's good to go
3. I believe this one is related to number 2 but it's weird idk. after all that in number 2 when driving if you hit the gas pedal to light or to hard the car hesitates there is a sweet spot in the middle. If I keep the pedal in that sweet spot going up a hill, it will be doing fine for 200ft then it starts bucking. to get up the rest of the hill I downshift but it only lasts a couple seconds before it starts again. If it's really steep hill and I've worked my way to first, i keep playing with the pedal and it will go eventually, but only go a little and repeat. Until I'm at the top then it's fine after getting back to a flat or downhills.

Sorry for length you don't have to read this part just a little history of the car before I got it recently.
Is a red 1993 LX hatchback 2.3 5speed. It originally came from ga and moved to pa in 2009. Guy put 20k on it in 10 years. He said it ran good when he parked it in 2014...outside. he thought it was the old gas that was making it run bad. I've put 500 miles on since then. It has improved slightly but still hard enough I will only let my wife drive on flats

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I would clean the maf if you haven't done so yet. But your issues sound more like fuel. Have you gauged the fuel pressure? You really need to know exactly what it's putting out. Also, have you had the tank out? Any idea if the fuel pump has been changed? The reason I'm asking is because, at this age, there's bound to be some gunk in the tank. My 88 had sat for many years and I had to replace the tank, pump, and hanger assembly. The hanger assembly was basically gone. I just replaced that stuff and used the same old tank. I quickly started having problems again. When I dropped the tank and pulled the pump, I noticed the strainer sock was clogged with rust from the old parts and the inside of the tank itself.

Kayzee2405

That sounds interesting I honestly thought it was electrical. I will do it and see shouldn't take more then a weekend

broncojunkie

If you have access to a scope, you could probably pull the filler neck and peek in the tank. It has to come out to drop the tank anyway. Also, you might want to hit the fasteners with some penetrating oil a day or two before you start wrenching...especially the strap bolts.

Kayzee2405

If you have access to a scope, you could probably pull the filler neck and peek in the tank. It has to come out to drop the tank anyway. Also, you might want to hit the fasteners with some penetrating oil a day or two before you start wrenching...especially the strap bolts.
Thanks man your really helpful. This is the first place I've posted where I got a response like yours. Other car forums I've posted in, I usually get the 'annoyed response'. Well in all, I really appreciate it. You represent this website really well I'm happy to be part of a good community.

I will see if I can come across a scope and see what's in there. Right now the tank is 1/4 full so that will make thing slightly easier. I may run some of that out before starting anything lol.

Kayzee2405

Update
I've replaced
1. Ignition switch
2. fuel filter
3. Exhaust everything after cat
4. Tires
5. one of the coils
6. ICM
7. Tires
8. Inner and outer tie rods
9. Ball joints