• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Is it dead? Does it need a new engine?

Kodiak

1990 lx convertible with the 5.0

Was driving then it overheated so i pulled over. Pop the hood and find coolant everywhere. I wait for it to cool down and find oil in the coolant. I let it cool down more and attempt to drive it home. A mile later there is a rattle that sound like a loose exhaust. Get a little further and experience an extreme loss of power then it dies, pop the hood again and find more coolant as well as smoke coming from down near the headers. This all happened the same day I replace the radiator.

How screwed are we? My thoughts are a piston went bad the same time we blew a head gasket. Any thoughts?

347HO

In most cases, you lifted a gasket, or both due to extreme heat. Water and oil get to mix at this point.
Sometimes the cooling system blows due to combustion entering the cooling side at the warped heads.
I suggest an engine pull at this time to go through it.
Heads will require resurfacing.
Check for bent stuff and wiped bearings.

Post some pictures of the carnage.