• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to engage ac clutch?

AnthonyA1234

Just purchased a 92 gt and the ac clutch will not engage. I’m looking to troubleshoot it and find out if it’s the compressor that is bad or if it needs more refrigerant. Can anyone explain to make how I can test if the clutch engages. I believe I heard people say you can jump the low pressure switch but I’m not sure where that is. Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

broncojunkie

It's been so long since I've had ac in these cars I don't remember specifics. But an easy way to tell is follow the larger of the two lines. The pressure switch should be somewhere on the line itself or possibly on the dryer (the small tank-looking thing). There should just be 2 wires. Pull the plug and jump them with a piece of wire.

broncojunkie

It's probably ok to jump it momentarily to see if it engages, but keep in mind the switch is there for protection. You can buy a cheap gauge that works like a tire gauge to see what kind of pressure it has.