• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Help 1st time mustang owner wanting mor power

Elswick84

1991 mustang just purchased. Details are gt40 heads upper and lower, bbk cold air intake, e303 cam, 70mm tb, 4.10 gears 5speed. I have no idea how much horse i have with this setup but more is better. No great big budget but was thinking maybe aftermarket alluminum heads and upper,lower intake??? Wanting around 300horse or a little more. In that range. Give me some ideas please.

Blown347

Staff member
1991 mustang just purchased. Details are gt40 heads upper and lower, bbk cold air intake, e303 cam, 70mm tb, 4.10 gears 5speed. I have no idea how much horse i have with this setup but more is better. No great big budget but was thinking maybe aftermarket alluminum heads and upper,lower intake??? Wanting around 300horse or a little more. In that range. Give me some ideas please.
Any of the big name top ends will get you where you want to be. The cam could even stay in it. If you wanted complete, trickflow sells the whole top end, heads cam intake rockers hardware, etc for around 3k. But you could pick up a used set of twisted wedges and some nice roller rockers for around 1000, plus another 300ish for a used intake, and again any of them will do well for you, an edelbrock performer or performer II, trick flow street burner, holley systemax, etc. what kind of budget do you have? That will dictate what parts you can get above anything else.

Elswick84

Really no budget but like to build as i drive or ill lose interest if setting to long bc i like to buy as i go cnt say i have $3000 sitting around right now but i know ill eventually have more than that in it? Any idea what kind of horse im at now. Also exhaust im running bbk shorties,bbk o/h pipe and borla stingers. Would like to know what type of difference the $3000 would do for me. Like where i am now compared to adding trickflow topend kit.

Blown347

Staff member
Really no budget but like to build as i drive or ill lose interest if setting to long bc i like to buy as i go cnt say i have $3000 sitting around right now but i know ill eventually have more than that in it? Any idea what kind of horse im at now. Also exhaust im running bbk shorties,bbk o/h pipe and borla stingers. Would like to know what type of difference the $3000 would do for me. Like where i am now compared to adding trickflow topend kit.
Flywheel hp you are probably around 250-260ish. A trickflow kit will put you at around 330ish flywheel, 300wheel hp. The only thing about doing a kit would be you had everything you need, everything works together, and you of course could sell your old parts and only be into the kit around 2k or even a little less depending on the money you got for them.

Blown347

Staff member
Your exhaust is fine for the goals you have, and if you want to piece it together I would strongly suggest piecing all the parts together and doing it all at once, it saves a lot of trouble pulling intakes, etc.

Elswick84

Ok now with that setup would u run bigger injectors? And just for knowing is that setup better than doing a 331 stroket kit? Sry for all the questions im curious. My last project was a 5.0 efi 98 ranger. Still have that but didnt really build it just the swap cost me enough lol. Headers were $1000.

Blown347

Staff member
Ok now with that setup would u run bigger injectors? And just for knowing is that setup better than doing a 331 stroket kit? Sry for all the questions im curious. My last project was a 5.0 efi 98 ranger. Still have that but didnt really build it just the swap cost me enough lol. Headers were $1000.
You don't have to, no. The stock injectors will support it, you could get some more power with some 24s but not a ton.

Doing a 331 with the gt40s will probably give you right around the same numbers. A 331 needs more top end to realize its full potential, the gt40 stuff would be choking it. Now a 331 with a trick flow setup or any good aftermarket setup would give you anywhere from 350 all the way to close to 500 at the flywheel depending on how radical you went with it.

Blown347

Staff member
The biggest thing I tell people is dont get caught up in numbers. Seems a lot if people get hung up on the 300 hp number. If its fast, then it's fast and what a dyno says is pretty irrelevant.

Blown347

Staff member
Actually in those kits I believe it's almost identical to the e cam grind. Like I said if you are going to piece it all together you could just keep that cam in it, it'll work well

Hoonigan

You don't have to, no. The stock injectors will support it, you could get some more power with some 24s but not a ton.

Doing a 331 with the gt40s will probably give you right around the same numbers. A 331 needs more top end to realize its full potential, the gt40 stuff would be choking it. Now a 331 with a trick flow setup or any good aftermarket setup would give you anywhere from 350 all the way to close to 500 at the flywheel depending on how radical you went with it.

Be sure that if you do get bigger injectors that you get a calibrated maf sensor to go with it...