• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hello, from Mesa Arizona

Fenrader

Hey there,

I have a stock 1988 LX Convertible (yellow) that I just picked up. Looking forward to making some performance improvements and restoring some of the interior.

Attachments

• 2019-04-21.jpg
    2019-04-21.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4

broncojunkie

Nice fox! Is it manual or auto? I did some performance upgrades to my 88 hatch. You can view my build thread here on the forum.

Does yours happen to have the maf (CA only in 88, and the rest followed in 89)? Mine was speed density, so I did the maf conversion. If I had it to do over again, I would have done a stand-alone system or plug & play aftermarket efi. There's a few options.

Any idea what all you want to do to it?

Fenrader

It's an auto.

I'll check out your build thread, Thanks!

I don't think it's had anything changed. Can you tell from the attached photo?

Not sure yet, what all I want to do with it yet, but the focus will be primarily on speed/handling initially, and I'll worry about restoring the interior (sun damaged) down the road.

Attachments

• Air FIlter 4-22-19.jpg
    Air FIlter 4-22-19.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2

broncojunkie

Looks like you're lucky. You've got yourself a maf car! That's going to make engine mods much easier. Anything more than minor upgrades doesn't play well with the older speed density system. Maf is much more accommodating.

A good set of heads, aftermarket cold air intake, larger throttle body and spacer, and a better intake will really wake that thing up. Look up gt40 heads and intake for a budget build. Those can be found on v8 explorers. If you don't mind dropping a little more into it, aluminum heads and aftermarket intake will do even better. You can also upgrade the cam or even add 1.7 rockers for added lift. Lots of options for these engines!

Fenrader

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. my current budget is around 3K at the moment, but I'm sure I'll be sinking money into her for the next few years :)

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Welcome to the site!

As junkie said there are a bunch of ways to awaken the beast.
You can start out with a few smaller things that really make a big difference in the enjoyment of the Fox.

Most usually start with the exhaust. Not only does a freer flowing exhaust unleash a few extra ponies, but the cacophony of power from the exhaust note also entices the spirit and enhances the driving experience. A pair of headers, high flow or O/R mid pipe, and a new cat-back of your choice will also help make the most of future modifications.

Ring and pinion gear set. This does not actually make more power, but it does affect how the power is perceived and applied to the tires. A great all around gear would be 3.73:1. Then there is the 3.55:1 or 4.10:1 ratios depending on what you are wanting and your combo.

Other small upgrades you can do (some previously mentioned) are a larger throttle body and EGR spacer, Cold air intake piping, Electric fan, underdrive pulleys, better ignition coil and a good tune-up (if not already done), and bump the timing up a few degrees.
Then the modifications really start to get serious!

Don't forget that the new found power is nothing if you can't put it to the ground. Upgrading the suspension and replacing the tired worn out rubber bushings will help tremendously with the handling and power application.

And don't forget the brakes. With all the go we also need the whoa! If nothing more than just making sure everything is in good operational condition.

Fenrader

Thanks for the input!

I put in an order for the following to get the project started:

BBK Power-Plus Series Throttle Body
BBK Underdrive Pulley Kit
BBK Cold Air Induction System
BBK Mass Airflow Sensor
Trick Flow Track Heat EFI Intake Manifolds
MagnaFlow Street Series Performance Exhaust System
MagnaFlow Tru-X Stainless Steel Crossover Pipes

For the Interior, I picked a few things:
Inner door handle bezels
Door panel removal tool and new clips for the door panels
New Center console with cup holders
Arm rest delete

I think a general tune up is needed too. Do you have any more details about the gear sets, and how to choose the correct ones based on my driving patterns? I plan to do the majority of the driving on streets and rarely plan to do highway/long distance driving.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Thanks for the input!

I put in an order for the following to get the project started:

BBK Power-Plus Series Throttle Body
BBK Underdrive Pulley Kit
BBK Cold Air Induction System
BBK Mass Airflow Sensor
Trick Flow Track Heat EFI Intake Manifolds
MagnaFlow Street Series Performance Exhaust System
MagnaFlow Tru-X Stainless Steel Crossover Pipes

For the Interior, I picked a few things:
Inner door handle bezels
Door panel removal tool and new clips for the door panels
New Center console with cup holders
Arm rest delete

I think a general tune up is needed too. Do you have any more details about the gear sets, and how to choose the correct ones based on my driving patterns? I plan to do the majority of the driving on streets and rarely plan to do highway/long distance driving.

Nice list to start off with!

Is the car manual or auto. Either way 3.73s may be what you'll enjoy from the sound of it. Though 4.10s might be fun if it's a stick.