• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hello from Atlanta, GA

jasonmcc68

My wife and I bought a 1988 Convertible GT for her, back in June of last year. It ran sweet and the interior was still nice. We immediately went on a two month trip across the US in our 2006 Expedition and let our two boys drive the 'Stang while we were gone. One thing led to another and my wife hasn't been in the car for more than 100 miles, and my boys wrecked and trashed it. Luckily it is not beyond repair, my youngest sons wreck was merely a bumper bender, but the wreck broke the hood latch which caused the hood to fly open at 60 miles an hour the next week. That did even more damage to the wipers and hood area around the wipers. My boys are fine, not hurt in the wreck or hood opening or killed by their mom or me, but I really want to get this car fixed up for my wife and in her hands. I will post some pics of it now and maybe you good folks can advise this noob and his son to get this car built back. It still runs great, just needs some body work and a little electrical work on the blinkers. Below is what she looked like the day we brought her home.

broncojunkie

Sorry to hear about the damage, but she sure looks nice in the pic!

The hood mishap is an all-too-common one, although it typically happens because a fiberglass hood is being used with hood pins and someone leaves the pins out.

The resulting carnage is a caved-in cowl area and sometimes broken windshield and roof damage. Windshield replacement is straight forward. If yours has roof damage, that is pretty tough to fix properly (still very fixable but the large surface area presents some problems). As for the cowl area, you can probably use a deflated football. Slide it inside the cowl opening and inflate it. This should get it pretty close to where it should be, depending on how bad it is.