• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Head bolts

dynobill

I am putting together a 302 for my 87 GT. I purchased new head bolts. One of the short head bolts has a threaded stud. Where does it go in the head? My thinking it would go in the front?

Thanks

dynobill

I don't know. It has been 20 years since I pulled and disassembled this engine. I will find the dipstick and see.
Thanks

broncojunkie

I've purchased several sets of head bolts and don't recall ever seeing one with a stud. I know one of the main cap bolts has a stud for the oil pickup. I also thought the dipstick tube attached to a header bolt. I know thats the way I have it set up on two of my cars (although I may have modified it... can't remember lol).

dynobill

There are two in the Mahle headbolt set. It has the 10 regular bots plus the extras with the stud. I am going to use the regular bolts and not worry about the studded one.

Thanks everyone!