• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuzzy instrumemt backlight question

fm67gt

Newbie (88 T-top GT) here with question on cause and fix of instruments looking fuzzy at night. See pic.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_214551546.jpg
    IMG_20200317_214551546.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 11

Blueknights75

Apologies for reviving an old thread but curious what the fix is as I have the same issue...can’t believe there are no replies...

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I have to say, this is a new one on me. I have heard of people having issues with dirt/dust buildup in behind the gauges, but I thought that just caused them to be not as bright. I would be pulling the cluster and checking things out.

I will say that I recently found my issue with dim lights (some not working at all). The little twist-lock bulb holders lost spring tension and weren't making good contact with the board. You can buy new ones really cheap.... around $12 for 10, iirc. I'm presuming the 87-93 uses the same bulb holders as the 79-86, so you might double check that. My point here is that since you'll have it apart, you might consider replacement. The led bulb upgrade is cheap too, and makes them look much better.

If the problem is with the gauge itself, you might consider some new overlays.

Blueknights75

I have to say, this is a new one on me. I have heard of people having issues with dirt/dust buildup in behind the gauges, but I thought that just caused them to be not as bright. I would be pulling the cluster and checking things out.

I will say that I recently found my issue with dim lights (some not working at all). The little twist-lock bulb holders lost spring tension and weren't making good contact with the board. You can buy new ones really cheap.... around $12 for 10, iirc. I'm presuming the 87-93 uses the same bulb holders as the 79-86, so you might double check that. My point here is that since you'll have it apart, you might consider replacement. The led bulb upgrade is cheap too, and makes them look much better.

If the problem is with the gauge itself, you might consider some new overlays.
Thank You @broncojunkie