• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel delivery issue

7-Up

Just a little story.
Sold my BMW the other day. Agreed to deliver it for the guy. On the way home, my ultra reliable Mustang flat out quit at a red light a mile from home. I immediately noticed that it had no fuel pump whine like it always does (the back seat is out for speaker panel repair). Had it flatbedded home where it was a bit quieter and much less stressful, only to hear the pump whine VERY faintly when priming. Bought new pump and sock, dropped the tank to find the S-shaped hose from pump to sender had disintegrated and turned to bubble gum. Totally can't believe it lasted as long as it did (I imagine it was stock and original).
Installed the new, absurdly overpriced $100 goodies, even though it only needed that stupid short length of hose.
The new pump is much quieter than the old one, even though it's a high flow (Airtex brand).

It was too cold and late (midnight) to worry about removing the broken tank baffle that has been rolling around for years (damned thing). That'll be another project for some warm day and an empty tank.

The broken baffle will continue to haunt you. It usually shaves off metal ever so slightly and will get inside the sock and go thru the new pump destroying the gears inside. May happen in 1k miles or 10k miles just be aware that your fuel woes may not be over.

7-Up

I planned on parking it shortly for the year anyhow. I'll drop it and crush it out of there over the winter sleep. There has to be a pile of the hose pieces in there too.

What a mess. Sucks to be down to one car when you're used to having at couple laying around.

When I was new to foxes I killed 2 brand new Walbro 255's within 7K miles before I noticed the baffle broke. I hear u on being down on cars currently my '86 is the only runner. Mods and scheduled repairs have to be planned out in advance. I am lucky to be in Cali for the reason that I can drive mine year round tho. But having down time allows you to do what you want in a good time frame it's not like you are under the wire to get something done cuz you have to drive it to work the next day.

Yeah you deff need to take that tank off and thoroughly clean it out who knows what is in there! Also did you replace the filter when you put the new pump in?