• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

fox body spare tire size dilemma

Dadshoes

I have a 92 GT that has 275 40 ZR17's on the rear and 255 40 ZR17's on the front. They are 4 lug rims.
It does not have a spare, and I don't know what to get. I would appreciate any help.
I will post pictures of the car as soon as I can figure out how to download from my phone.

broncojunkie

A standard size 4-lug spare should work unless you have larger, aftermarket brakes. The actual tire size shouldn't really matter. Larger wheels change the profile of the tire, more-so than the overall size. Having said that, I know that the sn95 5-lug and brake swap will not allow a 15" wheel to clear the larger calipers. If you have stock brakes, it should be fine.

Now... on an interesting note, this thread made me realize my own dilemma. I have sn95 5-lug swap (along with sn95 brakes, spindles, etc). I'm running the 5-lug 17" 10th anniversary wheels. I also have a set of 15" draglites with bias ply slicks for the rear and skinnies up front. I haven't used them yet, but I know the fronts won't clear, so I purchased a pair of hubcentric spacers. Since I don't have a spare wheel in 5-lug, I just threw one of my draglite skinnies in there. It never dawned on me to throw one of the spacers in there, too!

broncojunkie

Oh, and as far as tire size for your spare, just think of all the vehicles that come with those dinky little donut spares. It won't hurt anything to run one long enough to get you home or to a tire shop. Heck, my wife has a 2012 Hyundai that doesn't even come with a spare. It just has a type of Fix-A-Flat and 12v compressor.

Dadshoes

Thanks for the info!
I was about to spend way too much, and get a 17 inch wheel.
I do have stock brakes, so this should be easy.
This means I have a reason to go hunting at the junk yards!
I will post an update after I find one.
I do have spacers on the rear, but I think it will still work if I run a skinnier tire. To be honest, I haven't taken a front tire off yet.
This is the first "old" car I have bought that didn't need a lot of work, or arrive on a trailer.
I will get some pictures posted this afternoon.

Last edited: