• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Four Eye Electrical Problem

twotuf4ya

Hey Guys,

I have an 86 Mustang GT 5 spd car. Car was hard to start when hot, would turn over, but slowly. I asked a local mustang shop to check it out. They replaced the positive cable to battery. Since then I noticed one day car was down on power not running right and was "bucking" like power was coming on and off as acceleratin g. Then there was smoke under hood near battery and car cut off. When I looked the negative battery cable was fried. I spliced what was left of it and started back up. I then ordered a new cable from LMR thinking problem would be fixed. Happened again, I saw little smoke and shut car down quickly let cool off the restarted and drove car slowly home. I noticed when I accelerate a lot and get on car it seems to make wire get hot quicker eventually cutting out. Car doesn't feel as strong. Any ideas guys? I never had problem with car cutting out until took to shop last summer. I don't know where problem lies. I'm not too familiar with electical stuff with cars except ignition. Appreciate any help, would love to fix myself. Thanks...