• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fist time posting here, working on next project

JGP74536

As the title states. I recently started working on my next project and joined the boards here for some information and reading along the way. I've had numerous mustangs and even a few z28s and vettes. Cars have always been a hobby of mine. I'll pick up something and tinker with it, eventually selling it to fund other projects or what ever the case may be. About a month ago I ran across a 93 5.0 all original 5 speed car. I have not had a car project going in at least 5 years and when I bought the car my original plan was to clean it up and turn it and make a little money. Well the more and more I looked at the car the more I wanted to keep it and make it a project. It needs very very little. Its got low miles and as mentioned its all original. My intentions for the car are to make it as flawless as I possibly can, add a nice set of Cobra wheels, upgrade to a Hurst shifter and possibly do the exhaust. I'm going for more of a street cruiser than a full blown hot rod. I'm planning to put the 10th anniversary 4 lug Cobra wheels on along with new rubber and a fresh paint job. The interior is near flawless as it is now, which is the way I got the car. Likely go with a set of nice floor mats to preserve the interior as well. Here is where I'd like to seek out the advise of others on the boards here. My cars are typically only lightly moded. I do want to change the shifter to a short trough style and change the exhaust. I've driven cars with the economy short through shifters in them and was not overly impressed. Some felt too tight and others just felt bad when changing gears in them. I also have driven a car with the Steeda shifter and was not a huge fan of it either. While I have never driving a mustang with a Hurst I have driven a couple Camaros that had the Hurst and must admit they felt the best of any short shifter I've driven in any car. I am thinking I want to go with a Hurst in my 93 LX, does anyone here have one that could offer a little insight ? If so would you recommend it or if not what did you not like about it? I'd like to get the exhaust done as well. As it sits, its like it was when I rolled out of the Ford place. Like everyone else, I want the deep throaty sound. In the past I've had cars that were already fitted with off road pipes and high flow mufflers, headers, you name it. I'd like to add a little more rumble and get that throaty sound but at the same time be able to carry on a conversation inside the car and hear myself think. There are some many different routes to go with exhaust I have no clue which way to start. I'm thinking defiantly two chamber Flow Masters but from there forward what would you guys do? Friend of mine whose also had several fox cars mentioned just going with the two chamber flows and upgrading the tailpipes to 3 inches. Would that really make that much of a difference or will I need to go more in depth with the exhaust and look into off road H pipes and possibly shorty's ?

broncojunkie

All of the shifters are light years above the stock one... even the $30 Ebay special (tried one on a 98gt I owned for a bit, as sort of a beater). The Hurst is my favorite too, and the Hurst logo console plate is a nice addition. I have that setup in my 88gt and 79 pace car.

As for the exhaust, you're going to want an offroad h-pipe in my opinion. Either that or but the cats. Of course, local/state/federal laws apply and all that, but we know the drill lol!

Anyway, welcome to the site and looking forward to seeing some pics!

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Welcome to the site!
Let's see this street cruiser of yours!

As with most things shifters and exhaust are one of the preferential items tailored to each individual person.
I love the Steeda Tri-ax in my '96 Cobra and I love the Pro 5.0 shifter with Steeda handle in my '93. I had the Hurst, and didn't like it as much. The handle was far too tall which defeated the purpose of a short throw shifter. Though the longer handle did add more leverage making for easier shifts.
Yes the Steeda and Pro 5.0 are a little more "notchy" in shifting, but that "positive" feel is what I like better.
There are a lot of people that like the MGW shifters. I personally did not care for the feel of the one I tried.

Exhaust is another personal preference! I love the exhaust on the '93 with the long tube headers, o/r H-pipe and MAC dumped Cat-back. I'd actually would prefer it be a little louder. But that will come when the engine gets more power and more cam. I was surprised by how much louder it was inside the cabin when I had the rear seat removed while I was cleaning the interior. With the rear seat back in; it is still easy enough to hold a conversation.
But if you are looking for recommendations, you'd might be happy with a pair of shorty headers, larger mid H or X pipe with high flow cats, and the 40 series (2 chamber) Flowmaster cat-back with tail pipes.
The factory H-pipe with cats really quieten the exhaust a lot. I don't think you'd be happy with leaving it and going with only the cat-back system.
As BroncoJunkie said this is all subjective to local emissions laws and such.

Good luck and keep us updated!

JGP74536

Thanks for the input guys. I've done some reading and watched some Youtube videos of exhaust and still not sure which route I want to take yet haha. As I mentioned I did put two chamber flows on the car already. A friend of mine is suggesting putting 3 inch pipes on from the mufflers back, he claims his 94 Cobra had two chamber flows with 3 inch exhaust from the mufflers to the tail pipes. I will admit his car sounded wicked but I would think money would be better spent going in the other direction. As in fitting the car with o/r H pipe and possibly shortys. At the same time I'm hard pressed to doubt this man. He works on cars for a living and has had at least 10 fox body mustangs and several other Cobras in later models.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Yes it's true that the 3" tails will help act a bit like a megaphone to increase the soundwaves. But the factory mid-pipe really absorbs a lot of the volume if it hasn't already been swapped out.
When I first bought my '86 it didn't have any mufflers. Just the factory h-pipe with cats and resonator tips. It sounded decent. But what really woke it up was the o/r H and the full 2 chamber cat-back.

My '96 Cobra sounds even meaner than the '93. It's pretty much the same exhaust set-up but with tail pipes versus the dumped before the rear axle. Of course it does make more power and has more compression than the '93 also.