• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

First Fox Body and Project Car - 1988 GT (progress thread)

DudeStang

I have a couple of progress threads ongoing in some other forums but sharing here as well...partially to whore out my videos but also to have access to as many Mustang owners as possible who can provide suggestions or tips. I picked up a 1988 Mustang GT in late January. I've wanted a fox body for a long time. The first Mustang I ever rode in was a fox body. The first Mustang I ever drove was a fox body. I’ve been a huge fan of these cars since I was a teenager and always wanted to own one. I also wanted a project car that I could tinker with and build up and mod and learn on. I've been making time for that experience whenever I have had free weekends over the past two months. I've been partially documenting my progress through videos on my YouTube channel and I am always open to suggestions either through these types of threads or through comments on the videos.

Here's the car..
IMG-6995b.jpg
IMG-5044b.jpg
IMG-6921bc.jpg

Obviously it's quite a bit of a different driving experience than my 2014 GT but the times I've driven it, it's been a blast. For now, I'm trying to focus on getting some of the obvious problems fixed and I'd like it to eventually be sort of a resto-mod cruiser/occasional track day car. Anyways, here's a link to my YouTube channel with the small progress I've made so far. Cheers.

TacoPotatoMustang on YouTube

broncojunkie

Very clean! I wish my 88gt started out this nice lol! I have a build thread on here, if you want to see what all I've done.
Have you determined whether it has the stock heads or not? You could also yank a valve cover off to see if the rockers are stock. The fact that it has the subframe connectors and exhaust done is icing on the cake.

DudeStang

Very clean! I wish my 88gt started out this nice lol! I have a build thread on here, if you want to see what all I've done.
Have you determined whether it has the stock heads or not? You could also yank a valve cover off to see if the rockers are stock. The fact that it has the subframe connectors and exhaust done is icing on the cake.
Hey Broncojunkie, thanks for chiming in. I'll take a look at your build thread.

As far as I know, the heads are stock...but I haven't pulled the valve covers off yet. I will probably have to do that eventually since I need to start identifying the sources of a few oil leaks.

Right now I'm working on some of the rust on the frame underneath the battery tray. I've been taking a drill with a wire brush to it. It's slow going but I know it's gotta get done.

Over the past few weeks, I fixed a few things....including pulling together a functioning (mostly) horn and replacing random parts like the inner seat belt sleeves, intake box seal and hardware, and the hood bump-stop things. Right now the battery is dead, though it's brand new, so I am also waiting for a trickle charger so I can get it charged and then try to test to see if it is the cables or something else causing the battery to not be able to hold a charge.

DudeStang

Made some progress on some small things on Friday and Saturday...including adding some more sticker-based horsepower, updated the airbox hardware, added new inner seat-belt sleeves, and installed hood rubber bumpers. Little things but I still count them as progress.

The past week update - My battery (brand new) has died on me a couple of times. Now completely dead. Ordered a trickle charger and am now patiently waiting for it to arrive....probably won't be here until middle of next week. I've also ordered a heat gun so I can replace the center molding stripe.
Pretty happy with the rocker panel lettering but really looking forward to getting that body molding stripe updated.
IMG-7964.jpg

Got a few things in the mail this week. Got the plastic clips for the fuel filter and some sway bar end links (I've had some noises at low speed/tight turns).
IMG-8042.jpg

In the meanwhile, I pulled out the battery and I'm taking the drill/wire brush to the rust on the frame. Also have a POR-15 kit on the way.
IMG-8146.jpg

DudeStang

Finally managed to get rid of the old yellow stickers on the inside of the quarter windows.....took a long time though.

Before:
IMG-7964.jpg

After:
IMG-8364.jpg
IMG-8367.jpg
IMG-8365.jpg

Really looking forward to getting the red body molding strip updated and touching up the paint in some spots, including the taillights:

IMG-8253.jpg

New video is up with some of the small progress:

DudeStang

Congratulations. I wish my 1989 Mustang was that clean when I got it as a project car.
Thanks! Mine definitely needs some work but I think I got pretty luck overall.

Edit - just realized I shared my same update in two different threads. Deleted this one.

Last edited: