• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Filler neck attachment to plastic box fuel door opening

Sms380

I new there was an issue with the filler neck on this mustang I bought 3 months back. The filler neck was never attached inside the fiuel door. So I bought a bunch of the gaskets that I knew were torn and took it apart.

I have everything ready to go back together and like I said before something is wrong with the way the filler neck attaches to the over flow plastic box that attaches to the quarter panel.

There is a metal ring on the filler neck and a separate ring with a gasket that I assume should attach to the plastic box.

Does anyone have a drawing the way this should go together. The over flow plastic box opening is larger the the ring on the filler neck. And maybe there is a missing piece that was attached from through the fuel door.

I have attached all the parts I have for this. Maybe something is missing. It was never attached at the fuel door opening.

Thank you in advance
1991 Mustang GT
1967 Plymouth Barracuda

Attachments

• CAA33DDD-2D7F-4C1C-A5ED-1DA956778FC8.jpeg
    CAA33DDD-2D7F-4C1C-A5ED-1DA956778FC8.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 1

broncojunkie

It's been a while since I messed with the filler neck, but I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be another flat piece that the neck fits through. It screws to the housing, but i don't recall if it fits behind the housing or to the outer (just inside the fuel door). If i wasn't working out of town, I'd run out to the garage and take pics. LMR probably has an install video for the tank. That should show you what you're needing.

Last edited:

Sms380

Thank you for the reply’s.
I have watch the video before posting. After thinking about this all, I believe there is supposed to be 2 round rings that sandwich the overflow plastic box in between. The video shows them taking the screws out of the fuel door opening but doesn’t show all the pieces.

I think I’m missing the ring that the screws go into inside the fuel door. The ring I have, I believe goes on the other side of the plastic box that has a type of thread for the screws to tighten to. Making the sandwich.

I plan to head to the junk yard to find the missing piece.

Attachments

• 14E08CE5-99EB-492C-9BE2-1D95ABA2017D.jpeg
    14E08CE5-99EB-492C-9BE2-1D95ABA2017D.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 10EBF13E-10E8-4176-9F14-3A4321B26BDB.jpeg
    10EBF13E-10E8-4176-9F14-3A4321B26BDB.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 2