• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Failed my CA Smog Test :(

Indy Pace Car Guy

I thought I would post an update. I figured 42 year bold brakes should be replaced especially since I had a spongie pedal. I started with a new master cylinder then decided to do the works. New calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums and the hoses. You get the idea. I blew out the lines to get rid of the 42 year old brake fluid. I want to be able to stop on a dime and get 9 cents change. Well of course once I was working on it and had the brakes all disassembled I figured 42 year old rubber bushings, that can't be a good thing. So out came the control arms. Fronts got new poly bushings and low friction ball joints. Then the rear. I had the cheap stamped stock ones in my hand and said NO! I want fabricated control arms. I went on LMR and CJ Pony and darn those arms are expensive. So I did what I do and made at set. Picture below. Well I'm putting them in today. I'll post up a picture of the new suspension when it's all back together. Oh yeah I'm going with Ford Racing lowering springs. Well it's all apart, why put back old stuff. Should be pretty sweet.

Attachments

• CBZI6770 (3).JPG
    CBZI6770 (3).JPG
    953.6 KB · Views: 3

broncojunkie

By the way...awesome job on the rear control arms! Although not nearly as high quality as your diy set, another cheap option is to clean up the oem stamped set, replace the bushings, and weld a piece of flat plate to the open side to box them in. If you ever decide you're going to race it or increase the power level, you might consider some Wild Rides Battle Box reinforcement plates for the upper and lower torque boxes. I've started putting them on my cars just as cheap insurance.

Indy Pace Car Guy

Yeah that's what I almost did. Box in the OEM arms. But I had some DOM tubing and 1 1/2" sq tubing left over from a Sandcar I built so all I had to buy was the poly bushings which I would have needed to get for the OEM arms anyway. So with a few hours labor I have a strong cool looking set of custom arms. Can't wait to get it back on the ground. Oh and thanks for the compliment on my work and I'll look into those reinforcement plates.