• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ECM questions

Sean2857

Hey everyone. I'm trying to locate an ECM for my 1990 lx convertible 5.0 5 speed. I can locate one for sedan/hatchback 5 speed but I'm not sure if it'll work. The convertible ECMs seem impossible to get. What are the differences?

Blueknights75

I may be wrong but I thought all T5 transmissions had the same ECMs and all AOD transmissions had the same ECM. Meaning there were only two types of ECMs, one for T5 transmissions and one for AOD transmissions.. you could check out fox resto as they will rebuild your ECU.

broncojunkie

I've repaired a few of them. They're not too hard to do, for the most part. There are 3 capacitors that go bad and need replaced. If you have a steady hand and are pretty good with a soldering iron, you can usually fix them in about 15 minutes.

347HO

Ohhhh yeahhhh.
Other than corrosion, the second most common reason for the ECU to fail is allowing the battery to fall bellow 10vdc with the key/ignition on.
Doing this increases the internal amp/current due to low voltage. Usually makes the transistors and caps take a harmful hit.