• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

GT86MSTG

I’ve talked to a few of my friends that own fox body mustangs, but are 87 and up. They aren’t sure if the ebrake cables are the same. I would assume they aren’t since the 86 has drums in the rear. My question is, are both left and right side ebrake cables exactly the same? My 86 GT was a roller when I bought it and the cables were not installed.

broncojunkie

All fox Mustangs were rear drum except for the 1993 cobra, if I'm not mistaken.

The left and right, far as I know, are the same. There were some changes to the cables over the years but I think it has to do with the handle assembly and equalizer. I'd say it probably has to do with the length more than anything. I recently upgraded the rear end in my 79 pace car from a 7.5 to 8.8. I kept drum brakes and used the factory brake cables, since they were still in good shape. Everything worked fine, but the cables come very close to inside of the rear tires (which are bigger than stock). Comparing them to my 88gt, however, they both have that issue.