• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dying at Idle

Sevenupfox

I'm young and new to both the foxbody and project car game so I'm not the most skilled in solving issues. A couple weeks ago I bought a 90 5.0 to get into this. It's been dying at idle in town at lights. I bought a timing light to bump back timing so the engine would run smoother but the closer I get to 10 degrees the closer it gets to dying. Is adjusting tps something I should look into? Any ideas are appreciated. I have I video of it running but it's too big to attach the file.

broncojunkie

Welcome! First of, why retard the timing if it runs better advanced? And while adjusting the timing, presuming this car is stock, are you removing the spout connector at the distributor? I know my 79 won't even run at 10 degrees, but she's a different animal lol!

Most of these cars have been modified to some extent, so it helps to know what has been done to it. You can try a base idle reset and definitely check for vacuum leaks. In my experience, a bad or misadjusted tps results in sputtering and popping back through the intake. Don't completely dismiss it, but that one wouldn't be my first guess.