• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Door jamb rust

caseyrf

I have a 1993 fox that i have been working on restoring. I have torn the entire interior out to ensure floor pans were solid and they were not terrible. however, my door jambs have rust holes through the metal around the a pillar where the hinges are. I would say about halfway down the jamb, between the windshield and the bottom of the jamb. These holes are not terribly big but probably pencil eraser size, but there are a couple of them. My question is, is it worth the money and time to have someone cut this out and replace it from a donor fox, or do i scrap this shell and move everything i have done over to another shell? im quoted about %00 $500 for a firewall to be cut and sent to me...and about $2500 to have it cut and welded/painted in. I am already about $12000 into this project including the purchase of the car, slightly built motor that will probably get replaced or rebuilt anyway, new trans, wheels, quarter windows, new electric fan/radiator, 3g alternator upgrade, and various other odds and ends.

broncojunkie

I'd have to see the area but it might be a fairly easy fix. The worst part would be removing/replacing the fender and door and trying to line everything back up. You can paint the area yourself if you wanted. It's not like it would be noticeable if it wasn't perfect. If you dont have equipment for paint, just get some paint mixed up and spray it yourself. You can have it put in an aerosol can or use one of the aerosol spray bottles with the plastic bottle that screws onto the bottom. Clear coat with a 2k aerosol, like Spray Max.

I would find someone else, if you don't feel like it's something you could tackle/weld on your own. Maybe you could remove door and fender yourself and get someone to do the cutting/welding?