• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Distributor and C4 question

Wolfeman

I just purchased an 85 5.0 HO roller as a father and sons project. It was a factory T5. The drive train was removed by the previous owner and motor disasembled. Knowing it will take time to machine and rebuold the orriginal 5.0 we purchased a running 5.0 with C4 from an 86. However I have 2 chalenges. First, the 85 was an HEI distributor and the 86 is an EFI. We did not get the control box for the EFI. Next the C4 has electrical connectors our wire harnes has no place for. Assume these are for neutral safety or other modern drive line electronic connections like maybe the spedo? We also do not have an automatic shifter.

Here is the issue. Normally I would work out one thing at a time and get everything running outside the car to check for leaks and fix whatever is needed. However, our neighborhood HOA caught us and the car has to be running in 2 weeks or leave the property. Yes they are jerks.

Question time: can I transplant the HEI distributor into the 86 5.0 and use the controller box still in the car?

Next, if I use the 86 C4 what so I need to know to make it shift? Meaning the electrical plugs.

We are not going for street worthy driving. I just need to be able to move the car in my driveway every 10 days to keep the HOA off my back while we finish the fine points and polish the project.

If it was a 69 I would habe it going in 2 hours. But the butchered wire harnes from the previous owner and the mixing of years, style dist and trans gives me some unknowns to overcome. I can put the T5 back in but would rather use the C4 so I can get the T5 rebuilt.

Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thank you in advance.

The goal right now is

NC NOTCH

if you have a HEI as in GM, then you don't need a controller(box) just one hot wire, c4's are not electronic, they only have a neutral safety switch which doesn't need to be plugged up for the trans to shift.

you can wire up a ford efi distributor to work without a box also but you wont have any mechanical advance in the distributor, if your engine has a roller cam the distributor gear will need to be steel, assuming you are going to use a carburetor, the only ford distributor/gear compatible with a carb/roller cam is a duraspark from a 85 5.0 with a carb and a 5 speed and will need a box. the 86 up HO efi 5.0 uses a steel gear but the gear doesn't fit duraspark distributors.

you can also use a ford durasprk distributor with a gm hei module and ford efi coil which is very simple
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.13.1987.zs7tYcD0KH0

Wolfeman

if you have a HEI as in GM, then you don't need a controller(box) just one hot wire, c4's are not electronic, they only have a neutral safety switch which doesn't need to be plugged up for the trans to shift.

you can wire up a ford efi distributor to work without a box also but you wont have any mechanical advance in the distributor, if your engine has a roller cam the distributor gear will need to be steel, assuming you are going to use a carburetor, the only ford distributor/gear compatible with a carb/roller cam is a duraspark from a 85 5.0 with a carb and a 5 speed and will need a box. the 86 up HO efi 5.0 uses a steel gear but the gear doesn't fit duraspark distributors.

you can also use a ford durasprk distributor with a gm hei module and ford efi coil which is very simple
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en.....1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.13.1987.zs7tYcD0KH0
Thank you for the help. I will take some photos of the distributors and connectors on them. That may help identify what they really are. The 86 EFI is still installed in the mo

Wolfeman

Somehow my reply got cut in half?? The 86 EFI is still installed in the 86 5.0. The other dist is out of the motor and the box is mounted under the hood of the car. When I get pics I will post them so I can know for sure what I have. The plan is to use the 86 5.0. So I need either an aftermarket dist and controller or a box for the EFI. Are they available? Junk yards don't have these cars except one that specializes in Mustangs. They would have a stack of them. Been watching ebay buy not finding anything. Not that I would trust it anyway from eBay.

Are there different boxes depending on the trans I choose?

Thanks for clearing up the C4 plug. I could have used common sense for that one. A wire loop will fix that neutral safety switch. As hacked up as the wire harnes is I don't think it will matter anyeay. I have lots of tracing and cleaning to do.

Parts list:
Dash forward wire harness
EFI control box
Steering colom and wheel (he hacket it up ptetty bad)
C4 compatable shifter

Anyone have some of these and can save me an hours drive to the specialty salvage yard I would be appreciated.

Thanks much

Blown347

Staff member
My dad also has the column and steering wheel out of his 89. That might be pretty pricey to ship if your not local in Southern California though

Wolfeman

Thanks guys. The distributor compatibility was a very key issue. I planned on comparing them and see if they would swap. Yes I will check the firing order. That always comes up at some point.

Thanks for the parts offer but you are correct about shipping. It will be too much. Found all the parts except the shifter at a local mustang salvage yard. Will go out there some time next week and see what we can do. The EFI computer was $75. However, I have seen aftermarket billet hi performance dists for $150.00 with the box. So not too sure if $75 is worth it. I think I w il stay HEI and swap dists.