• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dim Lights!

ddrewes11

I bought my 86' GT with aftermarket headlights. They are incredibly dim and barely project light at night. Could the aftermarkets have bad reflectors? Or is this an issue with getting power to the lights? I have no idea.

broncojunkie

Probably both. Regardless, I would start by taking a look at your whole charging system. I wouldn't own one of these cars without a 3g alternator swap. It's cheap and easy. A 130a alternator will give you twice the amps. While you're at it, clean all your grounds and consider going to a new (and heavier gauge) set of battery cables.

If that doesn't fix your issue, rewire the headlights. There are some how-to write-ups floating around the web, but basically, you're running a heavier wire from your battery and using relays, so that the full amp draw isn't being routed through the switch.

If both of those don't do the trick, then start looking at headlight options. That's my $.02 worth, anyway! I've been meaning to do the headlight wiring on my cars, but there's always other more pressing things to address. Plus, I rarely drive them at night. I'm going to need it eventually, though.

ddrewes11

The guy I bought the car from just had a new alternator installed, but it's a cheap Carquest 60 amp so that makes sense. I won't be driving it much at night either so for now ill leave it alone, but the 130 Amp is in my cart for when i'm ready. Thanks!!