• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Decisions, decisions...

mickamg

My purpose here is twofold. I am in possession of an 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 H.O. The car currently belongs to my son, who has lost interest in it after pulling the motor 5 years ago. I am vintage, and so is my 1967 GT Fastback. I am trying to decide whether to rebuild the engine and install it or sell the car as a roller to get it gone from my barn, as he has moved out and moved on to other interests. I am here to try and figure out the ins and outs of a rebuild, particularly the Windsor firing order and flywheel weight considerations.

broncojunkie

85 would have been 50oz, as opposed to the 351w (and earlier 302) 28oz. If you rebuild, many of the higher-performance kits use 28oz (even internally balanced, if you plan on spending money on a really high-performance setup).

The better question is whether it's a roller or flat tappet engine. 85 was an odd year. If it's a 5 speed, it should be carb and roller, iirc. Autos were usually cfi (basically a carb with injectors in it) and non-roller engine. At least, I believe that's how it works.

Either way, if the car is solid, put her back together and start driving it. They're a blast to drive. Sure, it's not a 67 fastback, but you'll forget all about it once you start driving it. They always put a grin on my face!

mickamg

Thanks for the insight Bronco. New wrinkle...my son corrected me on the fact that the car is an 84 but has an E05E block. It had the 5.0 H.O. air cleaner and the block has the XXX casting and spider hold down bosses. And as I type this I realize I probably should not be furthering this discussion in the Welcome forum...

347HO

1st gen body styles are getting pretty rare on the roads today.
Since you own a 67'... Why not consider doing a "restomod" or "protouring" to the 84'?.
Keep it on the road, keep camaros in the rear view...