• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Coolant Leak

mannymendez25

I am having a coolant leak in my 92 5.0. It seems to be leaking in the back of the engine. As you can see the bell housing is rusty since the coolant has a bit of rust. Any ideas of where this could be coming from?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 2.png
    2.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Blueknights75

First thing I would check are the hoses and connections from your heater core and then maybe the area around the throttle body…

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
are the connections to the heater core and the area around the throttle body easily accessible?
They are fairly accessible but I would suggest twisting the heater hoses off don't try to pull the hose off otherwise it's a good possibility that this will happen.

Inlet pipe.JPG

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Damn! Hopefully you had planned to replace it before that happened..
The problem is that just replace that one from the stock heater core which was working just fine . with the LMR one, I figured it's 10 yrs old and I got the dash out why not replace it. I put the hose on , didn't put the hose clamps on ........... and pulled the one hose off again to straighten it more and that's when the copper pipe pulled out. So I had to pull the dash back out and install another heater core.

Solder Brace Ford.jpg Solder brace LRS.jpg

Blueknights75

The problem is that just replace that one from the stock heater core which was working just fine . with the LMR one, I figured it's 10 yrs old and I got the dash out why not replace it. I put the hose on , didn't put the hose clamps on ........... and pulled the one hose off again to straighten it more and that's when the copper pipe pulled out. So I had to pull the dash back out and install another heater core.

View attachment 3394 View attachment 3395
God bless you! Just finished this job and if I had to do it again it’s going to the shop. Glad to see that you got that type of age from the LMR one. That’s the same one I got.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
so those are heater core pipes coming through the firewall?
Yes.
God bless you! Just finished this job and if I had to do it again it’s going to the shop. Glad to see that you got that type of age from the LMR one. That’s the same one I got.
The original heater core was 10 yrs old and I decided to change it because of the age, put the LMR heater core in and didn't make it 1 day, bought a Ford replacement and it's been in since 2000 .

Ford  LRS.JPG

Blueknights75

Yes.

The original heater core was 10 yrs old and I decided to change it because of the age, put the LMR heater core in and didn't make it 1 day, bought a Ford replacement and it's been in since 2000 .

View attachment 3396
Well damn!! That sucks! I wasn’t able to find an OEM Ford replacement when I did mine a few months ago…now I will be worrying about this LMR one. Ugh