• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clearing 275s?

Photo_op

As the title says I am looking to clear 275s I'm the rear. Here are the details though because as I sit they will clear no problem. I want to know if they will clear with a 1.5" drop. Using my wheels with a 275/40r17 on these wheels will I clear with no trimming, rolling or hammering? Anyone done it? Pictures? This is my car as it sits now. received_786237251778738.jpeg

broncojunkie

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to do a little modifying to clear with a drop. My 79 pace car didn't clear with factory stance. I just had to do a little massaging of the inner fender (rear wheels) though. I'm sure 79 is slightly different, but I also had to bend a small piece up on the inside of upper/outer wheel arch lips. I'm not sure what it's for, but my 88gt and 86 coupe don't have them. They were just small flimsy clips attached to the inside. I folded them up with a small hammer. Most people either have to roll the fenders, or massage the inner opening when they lower these cars and go up in tire size. It depends on the wheel offset, brand/style of tire, rear control arm/ suspension setup, and a few other things. Occasionally, I'll hear of someone clearing larger tires with a drop without having to modify anything, but it's pretty rare.

Last edited:

Photo_op

See,
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to do a little modifying to clear with a drop. My 79 pace car didn't clear with factory stance. I just had to do a little massaging of the inner fender (rear wheels) though. I'm sure 79 is slightly different, but I also had to bend a small piece up on the inside of upper/outer wheel arch lips. I'm not sure what it's for, but my 88gt and 86 coupe don't have them. They were just small flimsy clips attached to the inside. I folded them up with a small hammer. Most people either have to roll the fenders, or massage the inner opening when they lower these cars and go up in tire size. It depends on the wheel offset, brand/style of tire, rear control arm/ suspension setup, and a few other things. Occasionally, I'll hear of someone clearing larger tires with a drop without having to modify anything, but it's pretty rare.

That last little bit makes me want to try. I will likely measure once I get the tires mounted. But these are the wheels I'm using. I think they are off a 95 gt.