• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Car issues

SexiLilFox

I have an 89 foxbody and been having issues with her. I been going up hills and gradual hills and even trying to get up to speed on the freeway. During all these things my car shutters real bad and doesn't pick up speed but she makes noise like something is knocking. If I am not on the accelerator she stops. Also another issues that happened was she sounded real bad and so I turned the key and took it out and she sounded like she was trying to start and the key wasn't even in. So I started her again and she sounded terrible but I let her run and then eventually I was able to take the key out and that had only happened once. What is wrong with my little girl? My boyfriend and I both think it may be my fuel pump and starter that are going out. What do you all think?
Thanks.

Blown347

Staff member
There is definitely a fuel issue. The fuel pump may not be going out, but it may have tried to suck the strainer through itself or even worse the baffle in the fuel tank may have broke and is moving around. I'd say swap the fuel filter first just to try the easy part, it may be clogged. If that doesn't change, then you'll have to drop the fuel tank to see what exactly is going on in there.

As for the electrical problem, it sounds like the ignition switch is going haywire. That's a cheap $15 part (it's the big plug the plugs into the steering column next to the key under the plastic panel. They're known to break, fail, go crazy etc. so I'd start there with the starting issue

Blown347

Staff member
I'd replace the starter solenoid as well (another $10 part) because it could have stuck open to cause the crazy starting issue.

broncojunkie

I agree with Blown347. The ignition switch is a common problem and usually very easy to diagnose. Take the plastic loose around the steering column and you'll see the ignition switch (not talking about the lock cylinder, but the electrical switch that the wiring plugs into). It is a metal piece with tabs that clamp onto the plastic piece. The tabs give out over time and the two halves separate. It will look something like this (probably not as bad).

The solenoid on the inner fender is easier to replace but a little harder to diagnose. Wouldn't hurt to replace, as cheap as they are. I've seen them break apart, though. Check it for cracks and it may clue you in.

SexiLilFox

Thanks guys. Had to come here also to get an idea about my car and it sounds like everyone is saying the same thing. The last thing I am gonna do is take my car to a professional to get their feedback about my shuttering problem. I mean it makes me cringe every time she does it. Poor Mustang.

SexiLilFox

I have never had a full tune up done on my car since I have had it. I've had it for about two years now. I don't have the kind of money to do that either.

broncojunkie

Time for a good tune-up. Don't have to do it all at once, but I'm guessing you probably need one. You can do it yourself, so no expensive labor charges. Start with plugs, wires, fuel/air filters. You can pull plugs and check to see if they are bad. Wires are a little harder to tell. Fuel filter is cheap, so change if you don't know how long it's been.

SexiLilFox

Yeah I probably will. I want to eventually turn her to stick but I may just buy another fox but stick instead. I just fell in love with this car and had to have her

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I have never had a full tune up done on my car since I have had it. I've had it for about two years now. I don't have the kind of money to do that either.

With spark plugs and wire , ignition rotor and cap, fuel filter and air filter MAF cleaners and other cleaners it will run between $100 and $125 and it all depends on where you shop to get the best price it could even less.

If you're willing to pay someone to set the timing and do all of that for you it would be a lot more. That's the thing about these cars you need to be willing to do "some" if not" all" the work yourself to keep the cost factor down.

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Depends on your location, Napa has some good prices .
By that I'm not saying the are the cheapest or the most expensive it's all about shopping prices for the best value for the same part.