• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Budget 302 Build and Nitrous

Middleagecrisis

I recently purchased a complete '99 Explorer 302 and have a question regarding the factory pistons. Plans are to freshen up the block (new bearings, rings, ARP rod/head bolts), clean up (mild port) the GT-40P heads/intake, valve spring upgrade/E-cam and 24 lb. injectors. Since this is a mild build and being done on a budget, I plan on utilizing the factory hyper pistons and opening up the ring gaps to allow me to utilize a small shot of nitrous (100-125 HP). The rest of the drivetrain is an AOD w/2800 converter and 3.27 LSD (I do some highway driving). I know this isn't the first time this type combination has been put together. Given the inherent block weakness and stock piston material, I'm looking to not exceed 400 HP w/nitrous at the flywheel. Should the hyper pistons be okay with opened up ring gaps at this power level?

broncojunkie

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with that, provided your timing and afr are good. Why the e303 though? If you're upgrading cams, i would go with something better. Not that it's a bad cam, but there are definitely better options for making power and still having good street manners.

Middleagecrisis

Not set on the E-303, but I have an automatic and that cam has proven itself over the years. I wanted to stay around .500 lift and keep the duration around 220. Any better suggestions?

broncojunkie

The N41 is 222/233 with 512 lift. TF Stage 1 is 221/225 with 499/510 lift. Both of these are supposed to be excellent. If you really want to match the cam well, just give the manufacturer a call and give them your setup. They can recommend something. I called Comp and they matched an off-the-shelf cam for mine. It was about the same price as the more common ones.

I'm, by no means, trying to steer you from an E303. That cam may be perfect for your setup. I built the motor in my 88gt with a B303 but i used 1.7 rockers for more lift after i already had the cam installed. The car had impressive power. If you're worried about aggressive valvetrain angle and excessive wear/stress, 500 is still pretty mild. Look into Alex spring kits for a few choices. They're reasonably priced.

Middleagecrisis

Those are both great cams to consider. I ran both the B and F cams before, but with the T-5. Even though I plan on running a higher stall converter, I want to run a cam with a wider lobe angle for the AOD.