• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brand new to the forum

My89obsession

Hey everyone. Boy do I have questions. So glad I found this forum. I own an 89 GT that purchased back in 92. She's been with me a long time and I'm finally in a position to start bringing her back to life. All stock with 178000 miles on the motor. She was still running strong until the tranny crapped out. I kept running the engine regularly until the fuel pump died and now she has been sitting in the garage for 10 years. Where do I start? Honest question. Glad to be here.

Johnny

Erkenbrand

Welcome to the forum! So . . . that's a somewhat complicated question. I think if I was tackling this . . . (and I know others will have their own approach. This is just mine.)

- I'd first change the oil in the engine, and replace the fuel pump.
- Since your replacing the pump, take that time to swap out the ten year old gas in the tank. Look for any rust or crud while you're at it. Definitely replace the fuel filter, and be ready to replace it again shortly after you get it running.
- Disconnect the coil from the distributor, and spin the motor over until it builds oil pressure.
- Fire the motor up and let it warm up and just breathe for a bit. Don't give it the beans, just let it come up to temp and watch for any leaks, or cooling issues. The goal is to get it back to running without risk a head gasket or anything else that has spent a decade drying out.
- Then, I'd replace the transmission, and service the rear end.
- Probably go through the brakes, definitely flush out that old brake fluid.
- Wheel bearings? Might want to repack them.
- Your tires are going to need replaced. Even if they look good, rubber only has a limited life and they're going to be dried out.

The expensive part is going to be the trans. Keep an eye out for a good deal. 'Expensive' doesn't have to be terrible. The rest is really just general maintenance parts that you can find at your local parts place.

Also - pics would be helpful. And appreciate. :)

broncojunkie

Welcome! I like Erken's plan! I might add a few tweaks. First off, after seeing the condition of the pump/tank in my 88 after sitting for several years, I would consider the possibility you may be replacing the tank when you get in there. Just keep that idea in your game plan! Before you start anything, go ahead and yank the plugs and put something down the holes to get the rings soaking. Use your best judgment. A mix of trans fluid, Marvel Mystery Oil, and penetrating oil all mixed up could do the trick. Or just spray it down with some fogging oil. It's nice and slick and seems to soak in to things pretty well.

Take a peak at your wiring before hooking up the battery. Mice may have chewed it up and you don't want to let the smoke out! Also, look at your ignition switch. They have a knack for coming apart while sitting over the years. You may be chasing your tail for a good while before you figure it out. Ask me how I know lol! And for whatever reason, I've seen these wiper motors start smoking. Maybe they corroded internally over time? I'm not sure but I do know it just takes a minute to pull the plug out before going hot!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!