• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake upgrades.

Pacemod

Hi all, new member here looking for some advice from someone who has done this swap already.

I have a 79 pace car edition that is going 4.6 2v swap, but that not why I'm here. I'm doing a brake swap that will include a 1998 gt rear axle with 98 gt rear brakes and 1997 cobra 13 inch front brakes, as well as the hydro boost and master cylinder from a 97 cobra, what all will I need brake hose wise on this car? I'm going to replace the front brake hard lines with new due to sitting disconnected for about 6 years and being super rusty.

I can get brand new brake lines for the front but will the stock portioning valve work with my setup? I'm wanting it to look almost stock so I prefer not to use an aftermarket adjustable propositioning valve.

From what I've seen searching around the web all I really need to do is make lines that go from the master to the proprtioning valve.

Anyone done this swap? It will have braided stainless lines at each wheel and the one from the rear of the car to the top of the axle.

Thanks in advance sorry if this is a long post I'm just trying to gather all the pieces I'm needing to complete the swap.

broncojunkie

I've done the front upgrade, but I only upgraded the rear to standard drum brakes, although, I went with the later larger drums and 8.8 swap. It's been too long and I can't remember all the specifics of the brake lines, but I do recall that the adapter for the (iirc) passenger side that everyone online talks about didn't work with my pace car. I think I ended up using stock later fox brake lines, but don't quote me on that. I just remember that I ordered the adapters everyone talked about and it wasn't needed (I actually ordered two...one for my 79 cobra).

I went with the sn95 master cyl and 93 cobra brake booster, I think. The booster was an absolute pain to make fit. Since I kept the rear drums, I took a chance and tried them without modifying the factory proportioning valve. The brakes now work great. If I was doing rear discs, I would have added the aftermarket adjustable PV and installed it in place of the stock line coupling on the firewall...toward the passenger side.

Shortly after doing all of this work, LMR came out with the repopped TRX wheels in standard 16" size (no expensive metric tires). I could have kicked myself because I would have to go back to 4-lug and smaller front calipers/discs to use them. I would love to have them on my car, but I'm not reversing all that work. I guess I'll just have to live with it. If I had it to do over again, I would have just upgraded to the later/larger 87-93 v8 spindles and front brakes, mc, and booster and then ran some good Hawk pads.

For the rear brake line, the early cars have the rubber hose and fitting toward the passenger side. Again, I'm going from memory here, so don't quote me. Basically, I just ordered a new brake hose and bracket assembly (they have them on Rockauto and LMR) and bolted it to the 8.8 in the stock location. I had to make a new hard line from where the main line exits through the rear seat area (yes, the early cars had the rear brake hard line running through the interior of the car) and carefully bend it to meet the fitting on the hose/bracket assembly. I ended up only having to flare one fitting. I ordered new hard lines for the ones that go to each wheel. They fit perfectly after some very light tweaking. All of this should be similar on your disc brake setup.

I hope there are a few bits of info here that help you out.

Pacemod

I converted the car to svo suspension years ago and never had any issues with brake lines or proprtioning valve, I used the svo brake booster and master cylinder, front control arms and brakes, and rear axle, I also did the drivetrain but that's for another story.

I'm doing AJE front k member now to make more room for the 4.6 but I'm planning on painting the engine bay while the engine and k member and all brake parts and pieces are out.

I'm having trouble finding paint in a rattle can for the engine bay.

broncojunkie

I'm having trouble finding paint in a rattle can for the engine bay.
I might have ya covered on that one. If you want black, you can order a can of 2k aerosol from eastwood. If you want to color match the rest of the car and don't have the equipment to spray it, you can have some paint mixed up at whatever shop you choose and then use these:

You really don't want a single part paint in the engine bay. Either, gasoline, brake fluid, etc will remove it. These Preval sprayers do the trick. Of course, you can get better results with an air compressor and gun, but these will get you by if you don't have that stuff.