• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

body cracks

timothale

old and new ford performance
I have an 84 Capri T TOP 5.0 HO 5 SPEED. PRESENTLY 120 K MILES at 80 k MILES i INSTALLED THE LADDET TYPE SUB FRAME KIT AND A ROLL BAR. RECENTLY WHEN UNDER NEAtH I Noticed cracks where the rear suspension link brackets are attached to the upright sheet metal under the rear seat, when I installed the roll bar and sub frame kit I formed and welded in an angle iron because of cracks under the rear seat going side to side. Is this a common problem ? I haven.t checked to see if there is space for rect tubind support or if I just need to weld in some 1/4 in plate to t

broncojunkie

Damage to the torque boxes are a common problem. Stiffer, aftermarket control arms are a necessity on these cars... but the added strength in the arms is just that much harder on the torque boxes (particularly the uppers).

There are several aftermarket products to fix and prevent it. My favorite is the Wild Rides Battle Boxes. Last set I purchased were around $100 for uppers and lowers. I also purchased the same Wild Rides lower kit for another car, but i substituted a BMR brace kit for the uppers. More spendy, but it uses tubular bracing that connects to the frame for added strength. It's going in a 500+ hp 82gt I'm building.