• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bittersweet Glow.... the lost paint color

broncojunkie

Years ago, I had a nice little t-top 1981 hatchback in "Bittersweet Glow" (paint code 8D). I remember thinking how interesting that color was. It was a reddish copper metallic. I hadn't seen any others in that particular color.

I only owned that car for a short time in the mid 90's. The internet wasn't as vast back then and it really didn't dawn on me to research it. In fact, I believe that was one of the last times I owned a fox mustang up until about 2012.

After researching paint colors for a couple different project cars, I came across the 8D Bittersweet Glow. After doing some searching online, I just couldn't come up with a good pic. There is a similarly-named "Bright Bittersweet" that is more of a red-orange color. Evidently, that color is more common. The Bittersweet Glow 8D was one of a few special paint options, and as a result, didn't make its way to the showroom very often.

When researching the paint codes for early foxes, the info is available, but photo examples aren't always easy to find.

Here's a poor example of a faded Bittersweet Glow mustang:
00x0x_bPvH8z6OrMXz_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

Ugly, I know. Of course, this doesn't represent the true color in any way. There are a few paint charts floating around, but they are uselessly vague in representation.
Screenshot_20210708-131142_Samsung Internet.jpg

Recently, I was at my local auto paint supply store picking up some base/clear for my 79 cobra. I happened to mention this issue to the rep, so they decided to take on the challenge. It took him a bit of digging, but he finally found the correct mixing info needed to produce it. In fact, he had a tiny sample of it in a chart book. As soon as I saw it, I immediately recognized the color. It was the first time I had laid eyes on it since 95(ish). I've tried to describe it to people, but it doesn't really do it justice. He gave me the mix info, so I plan on painting my 82 Capri in 8D. It will be a while before I get to it, but I may go ahead and pick up the paint while I can.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Here's a pic of my 82 Capri. Factory color is bright red (two-tone with black on bottom). Yes, these cars look great in red... but I need a Bittersweet Glow mustang (or in this case, a Capri will work).
Screenshot_20210525-033815_Gallery.jpg

347HO

Anytime you need a color match or color search... Hit me up.
My system is probably the most widely used due to its accuracy.
Even that "custom shop" in Utah uses it.
I can make a spray out for you to examine in all types of lighting.

broncojunkie

Anytime you need a color match or color search... Hit me up.
My system is probably the most widely used due to its accuracy.
Even that "custom shop" in Utah uses it.
I can make a spray out for you to examine in all types of lighting.
Do you happen to ship product, too? Heck, I'd buy it from you if I could!

broncojunkie

Unfortunately, the EPA states paint is "hazmat" and the shipping would be ludicrous.
Well, that sounds about right. I do know you can buy coatings on ebay pretty cheap. I guess they get discounts or something. They probably drop the hazmat fees for ccp companies. Can't expect china to have to play by the same rules.