• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bad ignition switch or Actuator Rod?

broncojunkie

Quick question here. I just purchased a couple mustangs that have been sitting for a few years. One is an 88 and the other 82. The 82 needs the ignition system wired in to get it running, and will stay parked while I can get the 88 running. The 88 just needs a couple issues fixed before I can get it running. I can deal with 1 car that is immobile, but it would be nice to be able to move the 88 around.

Here's the problem. I'm getting them hauled from about an hour away. Should have them here one day this week, but I need to try and get the 88 moving so I can pull it up in the driveway. The ignition lock cylinder turns, but there is no tension on it whatsoever. I realize the ignition switches are a problem and my local parts stores keep them stocked. But....I'm wondering if the problem might be a broken actuator rod. If it is, I'll have to order one today. I've owned a few foxes and have dealt with the switch before, but never an actuator rod. The guy I bought them from (bil) seems to think it is the rod, but I've never had one break. We didn't have tools with us the other day to open it up and take a look, and we were in a hurry. The car is about an hour away.

What do you think? Switch, rod, or something else?

Blown347

Staff member
If it just turns freely (doesn't click to acc, run, start) it could be either one. Both broken produce that same effect. No real way to know without pulling the column apart to invesigate

broncojunkie

Ok. Thanks. I just found out AutoZone has the rod for $10, so I'm ordering one today AND picking up a switch.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out a guy near me is still dealing in fox body mustangs. It's been 10 years or more since I've seen him, but I heard he still has tons of mustangs he's parting out. As of last week, he had some rims (not sure what kind) with tires in great condition for $200. Going to see him tomorrow. He's only about 30 minutes away.

broncojunkie

Forgot to update this thread. It turned out to be the ignition switch. Rod was fine. It's been quite a few years since I've owned a fox body, so I forgot about the common problem with the switch. Mine was literally in 2 pieces.