• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Auto to Manual conversion 2.3

johnpstucky4ksu

Hi everyone! Recently purchased an 89 as a father/son project. Car has the 2.3 with an auto trans. Son would kind of like a manual. Engine needs to be pulled and gone through anyway so was considering converting it to manual-but leaving it with the 2.3 engine. I am aware it is probably not cost effective to do a conversion but would be good mechanical experience for my son. I am not afraid of anything mechanical and have done several engine rebuilds so a few modifications here and there would be fine but I still have some questions on the process. I would really appreciate any information you could give.

1. Has anyone on here done the swap?
2. It would appear there was only 1 factory transmission for both the 2.3 and 5.0-is that correct?
2. If so, would anyone have a parts list "per say" to do the swap on the 2.3?
3. One the 89, are there any major modifications to the frame, etc required?
4. Anything electronic that has to be changed?
5. Any other words of wisdom?

Thank you for your time,
John S.

broncojunkie

Welcome to the forum!

A t5 swap is a great idea...particularly for a 2.3. While the 4 cyl version and the v8 t5's were nearly identical, you definitely want a 4 cyl t5. The input shaft diameter is smaller on the 4 cyl. It uses a smaller pilot bearing. A v8 one will need modified. But the main reason for using a 4 cyl t5 is the lower 1st gear.

Later, if you decided to swap in a mild 302, you can still use the 4 cyl t5.

The parts list is pretty standard. I could make a list, but I'm positive I'd forget a couple parts. It's all pretty standard stuff, though. Transmission, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing, clutch cable, pedal assembly. I can't recall if the speedo cable and plastic speedo (driven) gear is the same as auto. A quick look on Rockauto should tell you if the cable is different. I think the auto crossmember is either the same or can be modified. If not, they're pretty easy to find new or used.

The 4 cyl t5 can still be found pretty cheap. My cars are all v8 or in the process of being swapped. It's not because I don't like the 2.3. I own three 4 cyl cars, but the engines were long gone before I got them. I'm still keeping an eye open for one to install in my 82 Capri, but I have an extra 302 already, so we'll see.

johnpstucky4ksu

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer! I think it is something we can handle. I also actually found a very nice article on fordmuscle that details their experience swapping a 2.3 over to the T5.

I think I've located the tranny, bell housing and pedals so far. Looking forward to it. Thanks again!