• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD Transmission Problem

89oneowner

I have a 1989 GT convertible that was missing the TV cable bushing. When I first discovered the problem I thought the TV cable was used in place of the old style kickdown rod. I have since learned the TV cable controls the whole tranny. I took the car on a 60 mile round trip. The next day the the tranny was slipping . It seemed to be on OD only. The tranny fluid was burnt. I changed the tranny fluid and filter as well as installing the missing bushing on the TV cable. The car now runs without any slippage in the tranny. The 2-3 shift and OD shift seems to be s not sluggage (it takes awhile to shift). I took the car on a 30 mile round trip today. I checked the fluid which is at the correct level but I caught a slight hint of a burnt smell. Is there any additive I can use like a conditioner? Did I save the tranny or will it need to be rebuilt? I am trying to keep the car as original as possible since I am the original owner of this car. The car had 69,000 original mileage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

347HO

Did you drain the TC?
If not, the undrained TC fluid is what you're smelling, and seeing.
If you burned your clutch pack, it will take a bit before you're back to burnt fluid.

89oneowner

Did you drain the TC?
If not, the undrained TC fluid is what you're smelling, and seeing.
If you burned your clutch pack, it will take a bit before you're back to burnt fluid.
Yes. I drained the TC also. The only thing I did not do was flush the heat exchanger I’m the radiator or the lines. Since the burning scent is very slight this may be what I am smelling. I drove the car myself today (my wife drove yesterday) I confirmed there is no slippage. The car does shift properly. I would still like to put in some kind of conditioner if there is one available.
Thank you for your reply.

Middleagecrisis

A conditioner can't fix damage done. Sounds like you've done about all you can do. The amount of life left on the trans depends on how hard you drive it, and how hot the trans gets in the future. I'm getting ready to install a Summit deep trans pan (1 qt extra) and aftermarket trans cooler on my AOD to help it live a little longer. The AOD is pretty weak in stock form, I went through 4 of them on an '89 F150 I used to have.

89oneowner

Thanks for your reply. This car is not driven much. The last few years we only drove it about 100 miles a year. Any future trips would be under 100 miles round trip. We do not drive the car in the winter months. The last time I had the fluid changed at a tranny shop they did put a conditioner. I just figured it may help. This tranny is original with no problems before this bushing disintegrated after 32 years.

89oneowner

Thanks for your reply. This car is not driven much. The last few years we only drove it about 100 miles a year. Any future trips would be under 100 miles round trip. We do not drive the car in the winter months. The last time I had the fluid changed at a tranny shop they did put a conditioner. I just figured it may help. This tranny is original with no problems before this bushing disintegrated after 32 years.
I meant to say we do not drive the car in the summer months in Texas.