• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD help! Lost overdrive...

Dtressler40

Hey guys. New to the group, looking for help!
I have a 1993 Mustang GT with the AOD. I had the transmission rebuilt when I bought the car in 2011. I put less than 5000 miles a year on it though I do take it to the dragstrip a couple of times each summer. I noticed a year or so ago that it would sometimes shift into overdrive at wide open throttle (which they aren't supposed to do) and then eventually I lost overdrive all together. It goes to shift into 4th (driving normally) and it just free revs.
So, I started looking into fixing it. I found that it could either be the overdrive band is shot, or another common problem is the snap rings that hold the servo/spring in breaks causing it to slip and free rev.
I work on my own cars a lot but I'm intimidated about getting into the AOD. I've been doing research and watching videos and I think I could check those 2 things. If it's just a broken snap rings I wouldn't even have to drop the transmission. Just drop the pan and remove the valve body, check, and replace. If it's the band, I think I could do that too, but it requires removing the transmission. It seems to be a cheap fix, but a lot of work dropping the transmission which makes me think I might as well put in the 5 speed manual I've always wanted...
Anyway, sorry about the long post. Any help, info, or suggestions would be much appreciated!

broncojunkie

You have several options that make sense, depending on what you want to do with the car. If you want to get by cheap and have a spare aod, just find someone doing a t5 swap and buy their old aod. Pull yours and fix it for the next time. If you plan on racing often, I'd (personally) stick with auto over a t5. I have t5's and mild built motors, but I mod my t5's and run bias ply tires for the track. Your aod probably lost o/d because the tv cable wasn't adjusted correctly. That's the most common reason and I don't know enough about them to know what breaks. But they're too cheap and plentiful not to have a spare one lying around, if that's what you're running.

If you want to get more serious about racing and want the o/d, you might look into running a 4r70w OR swapping 4r70w guts into your aod. Just a couple options, in case you haven't considered them already.