• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anybody going on Power Tour in June?

Erkenbrand

Just wondering who all might be taking a Foxbody on the tour. I have a goal of taking mine, as long as I can get it ready by then. I've registered for the Long Haul group. Which means I'll be driving from upstate New York to Georgia, to each site over the week, and then back. In a car that I don't have more than 10 miles in yet, and is undergoing a massive amount of work.

Hope to see some of you out there!

broncojunkie

Man, I would love to do it! Technically, I have plenty of vacation time. Realistically, I just don't think I can take the time off work.

How many days total? Would you happen to have a link? I'm curious what the route is. Also, what transmission/rear gear combo do you have? I always said I would invest the time into swapping in a stock gear if I did something like this. My pace car (the one in my profile) is 3.73 with t5. I just put another 3.73 in the pace car I'm working on. I think I have a stock 2.73 lying around. That would be nice and easy on the engine. Overheating is another thing to prep for. That takes out a lot of Power Tour cars!

Erkenbrand

It's 5 cities in 5 days starting in Alpharetta, GA and ending in Bristol, TN. I'm going to be driving down from upstate NY and doing one big loop.

I'm running a T5 with a 3.73 gear set. I think my cooling should handle it. Aluminum SVE radiator with dual fans, and a high volume water pump. I don't have AC to add to the load.

It's going to be a bit expensive in gas. :)

broncojunkie

Dang! I have family in Bristol, too! If nothing else, I may just head down to Bristol on the last day. Definitely something to consider!

broncojunkie

Wife seems interested. I may get this other pace car together enough to take the pair. I'm going to consider this. Would you be interested in meeting up?

Erkenbrand

Wife seems interested. I may get this other pace car together enough to take the pair. I'm going to consider this. Would you be interested in meeting up?
It would be great to meet up. And I'd love to see your pace car.

My fiance has definitely said 'no'. If it was just for the day she'd be fine, but she doesn't want to be mansplained to by guys for a week. And I don't really fault her.

broncojunkie

Yeah that makes sense lol! My wife nixed the idea of taking 2 old cars. She's not a big fan of driving these cars more than a few miles, due to the noise, power, and propensity for "lack of traction".So basically, all I need is to do is tie up some loose ends on the car. New fuel lines (not crazy about the way I ran them), tune the new carb I slapped on last fall, alignment, and a list of minor annoyances. I've also been toying with the idea of swapping to a later tank with stock-style in-tank pump.

Erkenbrand

I was toying with the same tank swap idea, but I have to limit my list of to-dos. My original intent was to drive my 62 Skylark on the tour. Although it's in great shape, I have less confidence in it, and it's really hard to swing by a random parts store and find bits for it.

I am swapping out the sending unit in my tank and probably running new lines. When I was under there a couple of weeks ago it looks like the current sending unit is weeping a bit, and I'd rather not have surprise fuel dump on the highway. And all of the soft line needs replaced.