• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

another n/a 2.3l and turbo 2.3l comparison

Hi everyone been a while since i was here. Last time i had a 5.0 swap in my mind now im leaning towards turbo 2.3l.I know this has been talked about over and over and i got the whole thing behind the engine but what i cant find any info on is what is the difference in suspension, driveshaft, rear end and that sort of info between n/a and turbo 2.3l stangs and thunderbirds? Can someone tell me please?

Last edited:

Blown347

Staff member
The only thing i know is definitely different are rear brakes. the t-birds got turbo coupe brakes and SVOs got rear discs as well. someone may chime in with something else but i believe they're pretty much identical other then the rear brakes.

Blown347

Staff member
Yes both the SVO and 4 cyl LX's had 7.5" rear ends, although SVOs came with either a 3.45 or 3.73 rear gear. and the same driveshaft (5 speed driveshaft, the N/A 2.3l automatic driveshaft is a different length) The SVOs front control arms are different as well, but that is negligible and undesired because the ball joints in the SVO arms are not replaceable. The SVO also came from the factory with Koni adjustable shocks and struts, but the mounting locations are the same. The SVO came standard as a 5 lug too, so that's something to consider, but the front rotors are still compatible with the 4 cylinder, like the lincoln 5 lug rotors.