• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9in rear end help

Lbwar15

My 80 cobra is going through a huge makeover. One of them being a rear end that con hold the power I'm squeezing out of it.
I'm planing on using a 9in out of a car in the junk yard. After doing research iv found a few different 9in that were used. And all I have gained from my research is confusion.

So I figured I would just jump on here and ask. What kind of vehicle should I get a rear end out of for my 1980 mustang?

Blown347

Staff member
No 9" has the same 4 link mounts as the foxbody. If you pull a junkyard rearend you will have to have the fab work done to mount it. If you want a 9" the best way is to buy an aftermarket housing made for the fox. Team Z, currie enterprises, and strange make them.

I don't know what kind of power you're going for but you can build a pretty bulletproof 8.8 and it will save quite a few bucks.

Lbwar15

I'm aware that they don't bolt
No 9" has the same 4 link mounts as the foxbody. If you pull a junkyard rearend you will have to have the fab work done to mount it. If you want a 9" the best way is to buy an aftermarket housing made for the fox. Team Z, currie enterprises, and strange make them.

I don't know what kind of power you're going for but you can build a pretty bulletproof 8.8 and it will save quite a few bucks.
I'm aware that they don't directly bolt up and modification is needed. I'm just trying to figure out wich one fits best. And currently it's sporting a 331 pushing about 550 hp on moter then I added a 100 shot. But soon will have a 5.0 coyoty built from top to bottom with a hellion TT kit.

Blown347

Staff member
Oh I gotcha, well most people pull them out of a truck, an 80's era f-series, but pretty much take your pick. All of them will have leaf spring mounts and all of them will have to have the ends cut.