• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

94-95 Intake Manifold on a Foxbody

RedFox

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and to the Mustang world so I apologize if this is a total noob question or a topic that has been covered before but I searched and couldn't find a whole lot of info on this.

I picked up a really nice 94' Cobra upper and lower intake manifold. I'd like to use it on my 89' GT Foxbody.

I know there are differences between the 89-93' Cobra intake manifold and this one.

Has anyone ever done this swap before? Is it possible? It looks like it will clear the shock tower and physically fit under the hood. Assuming I'm bypassing EGR anyway, could I pick up a new throttle body, cables, intake tube/filter and run this? Or am I better off selling this and buying another manifold?

I've attached a photo of the manifold sitting on top of the motor for reference.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 6

broncojunkie

I don't think that's a common swap, due to the different angle where the intake tube comes from the inner fenders. It would be cool if someone made a kit for it. You might be able to make it work but you will probably have to get creative. An easier swap is the Explorer intake or the 93 Cobra intake. The Explorer piece is easier to find, but there were copies of the 93 cobra intake you can still pick up for a decent price. They are basically identical, but the castings may not be as good as the original cobra intake. It's my understanding the flow numbers are close enough.

If you do stick with the 94 cobra setup, you might find it easier adapting a filter that sits inside the engine bay instead of the tube that connects through the inner fender to pull in cooler air. No, it won't be a "cold air" intake, but lots of people have been running them with no issue

RedFox

I don't think that's a common swap, due to the different angle where the intake tube comes from the inner fenders. It would be cool if someone made a kit for it. You might be able to make it work but you will probably have to get creative. An easier swap is the Explorer intake or the 93 Cobra intake. The Explorer piece is easier to find, but there were copies of the 93 cobra intake you can still pick up for a decent price. They are basically identical, but the castings may not be as good as the original cobra intake. It's my understanding the flow numbers are close enough.

If you do stick with the 94 cobra setup, you might find it easier adapting a filter that sits inside the engine bay instead of the tube that connects through the inner fender to pull in cooler air. No, it won't be a "cold air" intake, but lots of people have been running them with no issue
Thanks for the info! I've had my eye out for a 93' Cobra intake. If I can find one for a reasonable price, I'll sell this one and go that route. If not, I may continue down the rabbit hole of trying to make this one work and see what happens.

I'm curious if I were to buy a throttle body for a 94', will the TPS sensor from my 89' match up or can I splice in one that does and have it work with my car without changing anything else? I'm assuming it works by just changing voltage based on position but this is just my guess. I'm sure there's someone out there a lot smarter than me who can answer this.

broncojunkie

Can't help you on the tps situation. Maybe someone else can chime in? I believe you're description of how it works is correct. So as long as the values are similar between the two, I would think the 94 would work.