• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

93 Mustang LX...wanting 5.0 swap

Rockstar81

Hey guys...
I recently purchased a 1993 mustang lx. Driving it home the transmission went out...lol...it doesn't matter, it's an A4LD. I was planning on doing a V-8 swap anyway so that's no big deal. Now here's my question...what's the difference between me grabbing a 5.0, 96-00 explorer and a 5.0 mustang for my parts...besides the timing cover. ???I know where several 5.0 explorers are. If I can grab the entire drivetrain from one I can do that for about $700...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-204444~2.png
    Screenshot_20201111-204444~2.png
    326 KB · Views: 8

broncojunkie

96 & 97, iirc, had the regular gt40 3-bar heads. The later explorers had 4-bar gt40p heads. Header fitment/spark plug angle becomes a problem with the gt40p. They are slightly better, but you'll have to be picky about headers and still may have issues burning plug wires. Just do your research beforehand if you go that route.

To run any type of cam with decent lift, plan on upgrading valve springs.

If you're wanting to use the auto transmission from an explorer, you'll want a 2wd version, of course. I'm not sure if they used an aod or aode/4r70w. A 4r70w is a great transmission, but requires an expensive electronic controll (around $1k). You can also buy a kit to convert the valve body to manual shift for a couple hundo. The aod is simpler, but you'll either need to use the pressure (tv) cable which is problematic or go to a manual valve body. The autos are a little above my pay grade, so someone else may chime in with some better info. I honestly don't know which auto came in them, but those are some things to consider. It wouldn't be a bad time to consider a t5 swap!

The rear end won't work, but if you find the right one, you could steal the carrier and gears from it. For instance, you might find a trac-loc (limited slip) diff with 3.73 gears. The explorers had 31-spline axels, which you can't use, but the 31-spline carrier will fit right in a fox 8.8 rear.... which you'll want to upgrade to. You'll also need to buy 31-spline fox-length axels if you go that route. Or simply find a good used fox or sn95 28-spline rear end and put the 31-spline carrier on the shelf for later upgrade. Keep all the shims. If the explorer you find is an open diff, you might grab it anyway. I believe you can use them with a mini-spool for some race car stuff lol.

This is probably enough to get you knee-deep into a project that costs way more you planned.

If you are close to me, I'd be interested in your 2.3 engine. I'm in West Virginia.

Rockstar81

96 & 97, iirc, had the regular gt40 3-bar heads. The later explorers had 4-bar gt40p heads. Header fitment/spark plug angle becomes a problem with the gt40p. They are slightly better, but you'll have to be picky about headers and still may have issues burning plug wires. Just do your research beforehand if you go that route.

To run any type of cam with decent lift, plan on upgrading valve springs.

If you're wanting to use the auto transmission from an explorer, you'll want a 2wd version, of course. I'm not sure if they used an aod or aode/4r70w. A 4r70w is a great transmission, but requires an expensive electronic controll (around $1k). You can also buy a kit to convert the valve body to manual shift for a couple hundo. The aod is simpler, but you'll either need to use the pressure (tv) cable which is problematic or go to a manual valve body. The autos are a little above my pay grade, so someone else may chime in with some better info. I honestly don't know which auto came in them, but those are some things to consider. It wouldn't be a bad time to consider a t5 swap!

The rear end won't work, but if you find the right one, you could steal the carrier and gears from it. For instance, you might find a trac-loc (limited slip) diff with 3.73 gears. The explorers had 31-spline axels, which you can't use, but the 31-spline carrier will fit right in a fox 8.8 rear.... which you'll want to upgrade to. You'll also need to buy 31-spline fox-length axels if you go that route. Or simply find a good used fox or sn95 28-spline rear end and put the 31-spline carrier on the shelf for later upgrade. Keep all the shims. If the explorer you find is an open diff, you might grab it anyway. I believe you can use them with a mini-spool for some race car stuff lol.

This is probably enough to get you knee-deep into a project that costs way more you planned.

If you are close to me, I'd be interested in your 2.3 engine. I'm in West Virgii