• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

93 cobra engine value

broncojunkie

Who would pull a stock 93 cobra engine? There's really nothing special about them, but somewhere, there's a 93 cobra missing its heart. Heads are iron gt40. Intake is special, although there are a bunch of aftermarket cobra intakes floating around. The injectors should be 24#. If it has the ecm with it, that would be a huge plus. They were calibrated for 24# injectors. Iirc, the cam is a stock cam, but the rockers are aluminum Crane 1.7 ratio, as opposed to stamped steel 1.6 stockers.

There aren't a ton of 93 cobras out there and I would presume most have their original engines. Any premium sale would most likely come from someone restoring a cobra back to original or someone replacing a tired or damaged engine. If I had to put a value on this, presuming it's all original and bores, block, and rotating assembly is in good shape, anywhere from $2-4k seems reasonable to me. The average fox owner probably wouldn't be willing to pay that much, since most of us just end up modifying a basic sbf. You wouldn't want to pay extra for a cobra engine, only to swap out the heads, cam, rockers, etc with aftermarket stuff. In today's standards, the cobra engine, in stock form, is still pretty lethargic. That's why I say it's worth more as a restoration part than a performance upgrade.

Regardless, that's a pretty cool chunk of iron to have sitting around the shop!

Foxaholic

It was pulled out of a wrecked cobra years ago, #299. Building an exact Cobra clone was the sole reason I was going to get this engine. Doesn't Ford stamp the end of the VIN number on the engine block?

broncojunkie

It was pulled out of a wrecked cobra years ago, #299. Building an exact Cobra clone was the sole reason I was going to get this engine. Doesn't Ford stamp the end of the VIN number on the engine block?
I believe they do stamp the numbers on the block.