• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

89 mustang 5.0 air pump tube.

jk66

I'm restoring a 89 mustang 5.0 aod trans. I was wondering if somebody has a picture or the part I'm looking for. on the passenger rear side of the engine there are two check valves. one goes to the back of both heads and the other one connects to this air tube pipe. So that pipe that runs from that check valve and goes to the back two cats , how is it clamped down to that check valve? mine just had a hose clamp and I'm sure that's not from the factory. The back part that attaches to the cats has a one sided clamp and I'm wondering if it's suppose to have that same style clamp at the check valve by the back of the engine. Anybody have a picture of what's there looks like for me?

broncojunkie

Seems to me that my 88 used a hose clamp as well, although part of mine was missing so I'm not sure about the whole setup. I CAN tell you that the tube assembly you're referring to is called the "thermactor pipe", so that may help in your search. I've seen diagrams of it in the past. Maybe the Haynes or Chiltons manual? What the heck did I do with mine? Lol

jk66

that's so weird that ford just used a regular looking hose clamp. Id think it would leak and cause a small exhaust leak. It not a very good seal because the pipe moves fairly easy