• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 Shock Towers

John art

Can I fix my shock towers from inside the wheel well? They are rotted only at the base of the towers. The rest of the tower are in great shape. In other words is it common to cut out the damaged steel and replace it without pulling the motor? Has anyone done it this way?

broncojunkie

I don't think you could do it properly with the engine installed. I repaired my 88 with the engine out but I was able to leave the k-member in place. The rust was confined to the inner panels. Not saying it's impossible, but I believe it would be less work to pull it.

John art

Thanks Broncojunkie, Is it common for them to only rot at the bottom? Like I said the 95% of the towers are fine. I don't have the mechanical ability to pull the motor, it runs awesome but does have a few drips etc. Probably could use a rebuild in the near future..

broncojunkie

They always start rotting at the bottom and go from there lol! I guess it's just the design. Water and salt and junk gets in between the layers of metal.