• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 HO

88 HO

Im the original owner of a 88 GT hatchback,been building it ever since any way my exaust consists of bbk shorty ceramics x pipe and old school flow masters still have the stock 2 1/4 tailpipes considering 2 1/2s will it make a big difference? Is the fitting and heated gas line problems worth it to go to. 3" pipes? Thanks Mike

347HO

I'm fairly certain it will get louder as the pipe diameter increases. Location of muffler also "tunes" the exhaust note.
I'm unaware of any large gains doing this on a factory stock engine without other, educated upgrades.

88 HO

I'm fairly certain it will get louder as the pipe diameter increases. Location of muffler also "tunes" the exhaust note.
I'm unaware of any large gains doing this on a factory stock engine without other, educated upgrades.
Iguess u didnt read that ive been building up my ride for over 30 years,any way i was more conserned withHP than note of course it will sound different. My main question was if somebody has actualy put 3in tail pipes and how they avoided all the fitting problems. Thanks Mike

347HO

There are no fitment problems going to 3" collector back tubes.
I had at one time, flow master 3" exhaust out the back.

I doubt anyone can say if HP goes up, down or stays the same with the information you posted, or... Is there another post here with that information?